xvs 650 classic rusty mudguard

EazyDuz
This post is 3763 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Looking at a fairly cheap xvs 650 which is in pretty good nick apart from the read fender right at the bottom has a rust patch.

Is this a walk away job? Is it likely the whole thing might be corroding from within? I rubbed my hand on the underside of the fender and I had a light brown colouring on my hand (like a mix of dirt and rust)

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Bit strange that it has rust on it as they are plastic. :eusa_think:

Only place i can think of that this rust would have come from is the bolts from the rear light as this is mounted at the bottom of the fender, so if you do buy this bike then your best to replace them with stainless steel.

Other places for rust is on the box section of the swing arm, get on your belly and look under it and your see a big rectangle box stection.

Next bit is to get the seller to take off the seat and pillion seat then lift up the rubber skirt that "Protects" the shock and check for excessive rust / rot to the mounting points and the shock itslef.

Bit strange that it has rust on it as they are plastic. :eusa_think:

Only place i can think of that this rust would have come from is the bolts from the rear light as this is mounted at the bottom of the fender, so if you do buy this bike then your best to replace them with stainless steel.

Other places for rust is on the box section of the swing arm, get on your belly and look under it and your see a big rectangle box stection.

Next bit is to get the seller to take off the seat and pillion seat then lift up the rubber skirt that "Protects" the shock and check for excessive rust / rot to the mounting points and the shock itslef.

The classic has metal fenders, the custom has plastic....

Cool! didn't know that. every day is a school day as they say.

Cool! didn't know that. every day is a school day as they say.

Why do you think the Classic is 20kg heavier than the Custom? ;)

Not a walk-away job at all... assuming it's just the one patch, that is.

I highly doubt the mudguard is so bad that it's rotted through, but even if it is there are still plenty of other options...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online