XVS 650 Making a whining noise?

PyroVee
This post is 3770 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My 2004 V-star makes a very high pitch whining noise when moving, the noise usually goes after 30/40 mph at higher rpm, but pulling off ans slower cruising speed makes a horrible whine. I know shaft drives aren't always quiet but this noise is noticeable over the exhaust sounds... surely that isn't normal? the noise isn't there when the engine is running idle in neutral, it is only when a gear is engaged and the bike is moving. The garage has said nothing is wrong with it, but I know several owners of the same model bike and year whose bikes don't make HALF as much of a noise! I have changed the engine oil, final drive oil and had the splines lubed.. but nothing has worked. I know that the bike is 10 years old (25000 miles) and things will be starting to wear a little, I was considering buying a new final drive unit and shaft from a disassembled 2009 model.. would this solve it? It is a pricey piece.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Before you buy anything you need to make sure what it is that's making the noise I would think, just changing stuff till you fix it is going to be expensive. My bike is 32 years old and the shaft drive is SILENT and original, it must be a bearing if it's whining rather than something rubbing. As it only makes the noise when it's moving have you tried it on the centre stand to see if the noise is there when it just runs in gear but not under load? your best bet would be to see if you can borrow the local MOT stations rolling road and see if you can spot the defect with a long screw driver used like a stethoscope, just my thoughts on your problem. :jossun:

PS when if ever where the wheel bearings checked or changed?

Thanks for replying so quickly :) the wheel bearings (as far as I know) have never been replaced, but I did have them checked by the last mechanic I went to. All he said was that there was a little bit of wobble in the rear one but it would still be good for ages. I propped it up on a jack, turned it on and revved it in gear - it is definitely louder when under load - To clarify this I did a little experiment and put the bike in a higher gear at lower speed... Definitely Louder! I cannot think what it might be.. any ideas?

Well worst case scenario is a gearbox whine, that would be a gearbox strip down if that's the case so let's hope it's not that, if the wheel bearings are wobbly then that's where I would start just cos they need to be done if they are in any way loose, the final drive does also have bearings inside and they should be oil soaked as they sit in an oil bath most of the time so if you have oil then they should be ok but you don't know if the previous owner maintained the bike properly so it might bear checking out, your best bet if it's not the wheel bearing is to get your local bike mechanic to test the thing and see if he can come up with any ideas but if you have already tried him then look for someone else nearby. Most of these noises are usually fairly easy to locate if you have the right kit so just keep plugging away till you find the cause then fix it but don't buy anything till you know what the hell is making the noise. that's my advice anyway others nay have better ideas, hope some of that helps? :jossun:

• Like 1

Does the noise increase in pitch the faster you go, while dropping as you slow down?

Does your bike sound like a spaceship?

If so, then that is perfectly normal. All 650 Drags do that.

If not, then you're back to getting it on the jack and running it. Keeping the revs steady and then increasing incrementally may be the best approach. Having someone assist would be good - Maybe one of us could help, if anyone is nearby you?

Yep my Draggy whines, totally normal. is it this loud?

If so its normal :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online