Market Value

1601pete
This post is 3626 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

I'm trying to decide if I should get my bike insured with an agreed value policy or based on market value. What's the best way in determining "market value"?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

agreed is the only way if you run a classic.

someone crashes into you and it brakes a lever, it will be written off as uneconomical to repair. market value is based on glasses guide, if its not in there then its worth £50 (that's a guess but not far off)

I know it isn't a motorbike, but my classic Mini had a certificate supplied to my insurance company from my garage who valued it's worth. My insurance company requested some proof from an "expert", it was as easy as that.

By contrast - The third party in my claim didn't give a fuck *how* many experts I could summon. Glasses Guide said X, so I was getting X. Eventually they relented and found the cheapest examples of those currently for sale, along with some vaguely similar (and much cheaper) bikes, took the average, rounded down and offered that.

Do NOT let them fuck you over. Get an agreed value beforehand.