1980 Sr250 problems

Drew3287
This post is 3609 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a sr250 custom bobber, I've cleaned the carb multiple times, still doesn't help much. It will crank and idle, was only running only on half choke, it will idle and ride now with choke off but still wants to spit back through the carb and backfire, also wants to shut off sometimes at stops. How can I fix this?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi drew , spit back usually means the inlet valve aint closed proper, check timing and valve clearance.. how many miles on her ?

Odometer shows about 5000 but there's no speedo cable, so not exactly sure, but it's got to be close,I got this bike on a trade and just trying to get it riding, I'm kinda new to bike engines, any help on adjusting valves etc. would be very helpful

Ok, done valve adjustment, tried 3 different plugs, cranks and runs on half choke, runs for a while and shuts off off choke and still spits and backfires when I rev it and let off, could there be a spark problem, electrical issue. I'm at a loss ,really need some advice here

Runs on half choke ? then its lean, is there a air filtre on her,,, screw air/ pilot screw in,,a half turn,

Adjusted pilot screw in all the way them out 1 and 1/4 the 1 and 1/2. No air filter, gotta get one. May try soaking carb, idk what else to do besides maybe rejecting carb

I'm no expert (see my other posts!) but without a filter to resist air flow you will not be getting enough fuel through. This is probably why she idles ok on half choke.

I'm no expert (see my other posts!) but without a filter to resist air flow you will not be getting enough fuel through. This is probably why she idles ok on half choke.

Thats an expert assumption Andre,,, :yeah: .... its the cause... :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online