Carb slide stuck

mcferreira100
This post is 3699 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This slide stuck badly after 20yrs doing nothing. Any suggestions getting it out. Already soaked it in WD40 but fuel has formed a sticky sludge around it. What about chopping off the cable and soaking it in boiling water?

LHCarb_zps524b3fb0.jpeg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had a similar issue on my LC2 where the carbs had been left with fuel in and the floatbowl drain screws had stuck in caused by the gum/varnish. I boiled a kettle and filled the bowls with hot water and it loosened the gum enough to get the screws out. Could you try pouring some hot water around the slides without cutting the cables first to see if that will loosen them. By the look of the intakes the carbs look like they will need a good cleaning inside anyway.

Tony

Got a tip to try this stuff. Soak for couple of days.

Lubricant_zpsfe840fb2.jpeg

Let em soak in coke or vinegar. Both are aggressively acidic which wont affect the carb parts in the slightest but should clean the gunk. Certainly brighten up the ally.

As above, sounds nut's but it actually works and you can drink it when your finished with it. :biglaugha: :biglaugha:

Let em soak in coke or vinegar.

Well, coke is a carbonated drink. :icon_biggrin:

Let em soak in coke or vinegar. Both are aggressively acidic which wont affect the carb parts in the slightest but should clean the gunk. Certainly brighten up the ally.

Coke cleared the oil leak from my parents driveway without the need to scrub. Left it overnight and just hosed it off.

Tesco Value Coke, ha ha! Only cost 12p back then too. Surprised it's actually deemed safe for human consumption actually...

The spray cans of carb cleaner work really well . When you use it , put a tray underneath and catch the stuff as it drips off / oversprays , it's expensive stuff . let it soak and then get busy with old toothbrush . The coke and vinegar ideas sound much more pocket friendly though .

Good news..vinegar saved the day. One and half days soak and throttle valve popped out. But choke still stuck in there..in fact on trying to get it out, the plunger cap separated off leaving just the plunger shaft sticking out, so its still in the vinegar. What about some boiling water..wondering what is going to be good enough to clean out all those little orifices in there?

I know it sounds daft but if you bung it in the dishwasher at the highest setting it will blow more than the crap out, it has been known (when SWMBO) is at work, for various bits of my bike to get a thorough cleaning in the dishwasher and even the plastics come out like new, just a thought but be aware the "little woman" will have your ball's on a sharp stick if she catches you !! :biglaugha::eusa_doh:

• Like 1

I eat off stuff out of the dishwasher..not too keen on putting old greasy bike stuff in there.

You guys ever heard of something called compression stabilizer? It starts bubbling the minute it is sprayed on. Was told its good for cleaning carbs.

Depends if its bubling because its disolving crud, or. Its bubling because its disolving the aluminium.

Mc I did mean that you took the dishes "OUT" before you used it !!! :jossun:

Mc I did mean that you took the dishes "OUT" before you used it !!! :jossun:

I will never forget getting caught with the engi.e cases at gas mark 6. She went off the charts haha.

now pilot jet in one carb refusing to budge. these small buggers can be real pain sometimes.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online