xj6 rear wheel, unknown clip!?!

slunge
This post is 3791 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi ALl

been a few yrs since I last posted here (was on a 125 back then - now riding a 2010 XJ6 S).

Took the rear wheel off for a tyre change last weekend (mission in its self!) - as I pulled out the rear axle, and took off the brake caliper / abs sensor, this clip dropped down to the floor.

for the life of me, i cannot find any reference to it anywhere in the service manual or any diagrams!? Slightly worried as I have now reassembled the bike and everything seems fine - just hate having this spare without knowing what it is?

One thing to note is, on the right hand side (brake/abs side) - the alighnement screws at the back of the swing arm, while tight and preventing the axle moving towards the front - does not seem that secure to prevent the axle sliding back towards the rear (its much more secure now i have torqued up the axle bolt but still doesnt seem as secure as the other side which I did first while setting chain tension).

Was wondering if the clip perhaps lived as part of that housing to stop the chain drive adjuster moving forward??? Any help would be great!

2014-05-07102006Large.jpg

2014-05-07102003Large.jpg

2014-05-07101951Large.jpg

2014-05-07101940Large.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

that looks like a brake pad shim. usually fits between the caliper and back of brake pad

that does makes sense - it was in that area as the wheel was rolled ou - im currently commuting on the bike, and the brakes seem ok - slightly concerning if this should be in the assembly.

having just rechecked the manual and now more specifically the brakes - it does seem exactly that, thats for pointing me in the right direction... now just to decipher whats happening with the rear right alignment.

if you want the wheel to move forward loosen the axle bolt and the adjusters and give the wheel a kick from the rear pushing it forward.adjusters only work pulling the wheel back (and when the axle bolt is loose)

thanks for the reply - that kind of answers my question, in that I was aware of the adjusters dragging the wheel back (exactly what I did after putting chain back on the drive, and pulling wheel back).

I just expected there to be some limitation to stop the wheel dropping back - unless thats literally all down the axle bolts etc - i noticed it had a slight play to move forward but that was before tightening up the axle.

On the clip front, have found 2 pic references to the location, its actually one of the brake springs (see on brakes breakdown and on caliper diagram) - in case anyone else has a similar issue:

spring.jpgsprint1.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online