small oil leak. how can i stop it?...

paranoid
This post is 3793 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i changed my oil recently and ever since i've had a small oil leak that i didn't notice before :(

i was careful to drain all of the oil out of the bike (or at least i thought i did) by letting it drain for 20 mins on the centre stand, and then moving the bike about until every last drop appeared to be out. i then filled it with a 1l bottle of oil

ever since then, i've had a small oil leak as pictured below. i think it might be seeping out through the bolt in the middle of the picture. any ideas what i may have done to cause this? and how it can be fixed?

thanks

2014-05-02+16.45.29.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I stripped and rebuilt an XT engine (exactly the same base as your YBR) not long ago, the bolt (pointing horizontally) hold the two cases together, between the two cases (if i remember correctly) there is an oil gallery running directly underneath that bolt between the two cases, if you remove the bolt and clean the shank and the hole itself with a cotton bud and a small amount of white spirit you can apply a smear of silicone to the bolt shank which will help it to seal as you screw it in.

as an alternative, you could use PTFE tape, the cases are sealed both around the top of that bolt and underneath, so sealing the bolt itself should have no effect on oil flow itself within the engine.

hope this helps

Foameh.

it takes a litre, so i just bought one of those 1 litre bottles. i figured if i drained it all out, then it would be bang on. but soon after the oil change i started getting the leak. i wondered if this could be caused by overfilling? i.e. if there was actually some oil left in that hadn't drained out

:) is there a dipstic on this bike?........lol, every bike has a dipstick. Fits between the bars and the seat.

It is simply not possible to drain a oc the oil from the motor. There will be oil left, in the gears, laying in the head etc.

You could have 10 per cent too much....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online