SR 125 clutch problems

Gravis
This post is 3793 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I recently picked up an SR 125 but it seems to be having a few issues with the clutch... There is only a couple of mm of bite range in the lever and its all the way at the full extent of the clutch lever, the clutch doesn't seem to be slipping but Its making it hard to ride. Ive managed to pick up a workshop manual and have tried a few things already...

- clutch cable adjustment at both the crankcase and lever

- replace actuator arm return spring

- replace friction plates

- examined steel plates (look to be within tolerance)

- examined pressure plate springs (look to be within tolerance)

- attempted to adjust the actuating arm position using the locknut and screw adjuster inside the crankcase but I cant seem to get the lever point A and crankcase pip B to align, turning the screw doesn't move the lever at all... is that normal? I cant seem to push the actuating arm any further back towards the rear wheel either so it definitely looks like it is out of free play, although I have just replaced the friction plates so am a bit confused...

To be honest I probably should have looked at the cable by now but it all seems to be moving freely, I will be looking at that tonight i just wondered if there is anything glaringly obvious im missing? Im a bit of rookie mechanic with bikes btw but quite happy to get my hands dirty.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

I recently picked up an SR 125 but it seems to be having a few issues with the clutch... There is only a couple of mm of bite range in the lever and its all the way at the full extent of the clutch lever, the clutch doesn't seem to be slipping but Its making it hard to ride. Ive managed to pick up a workshop manual and have tried a few things already...

- attempted to adjust the actuating arm position using the locknut and screw adjuster inside the crankcase but I cant seem to get the lever point A and crankcase pip B to align, turning the screw doesn't move the lever at all... is that normal? I cant seem to push the actuating arm any further back towards the rear wheel either so it definitely looks like it is out of free play, although I have just replaced the friction plates so am a bit confused...

To be honest I probably should have looked at the cable by now but it all seems to be moving freely, I will be looking at that tonight i just wondered if there is anything glaringly obvious im missing? Im a bit of rookie mechanic with bikes btw but quite happy to get my hands dirty.

Disconnect the cable, use your hand to push the operating lever until it shows resistance.

at this point the pip and pointer should align, use the adjuster screw to achieve this.

when that's done re fit the cable and set the free play....job done

Disconnect the cable, use your hand to push the operating lever until it shows resistance.

at this point the pip and pointer should align, use the adjuster screw to achieve this.

when that's done re fit the cable and set the free play....job done

Thanks for this but im still a bit confused... can you explain it for dummies? :D by the operating lever do you mean the lever on the top of the crankcase? Will I need to disconnect the return spring as well as surely that will give resistance as soon as i push it? Have i got completely the wrong end of the stick?

Oh just thinking a bit more about it and i might understand a bit better now... do you mean watching for resistance on the plates?

The other thing I have tried is screwing the adjustment screw fully in and fully out and didnt see any movement on the lever at all, so im guessing it has to be held in place whilst matching up the marks and then adjusting the screw at the same time?

Sorry for being a complete newb :/

Oh just thinking a bit more about it and i might understand a bit better now... do you mean watching for resistance on the plates?

................ im guessing it has to be held in place whilst matching up the marks and then adjusting the screw at the same time?

Sorry for being a complete newb :/

Thats right

zepaha5e.jpg

I had a similar issue. Take the cable off here, it should then move freely.

Thanks for the replies. Im having a look at this this morning and have made the adjustments but I notice only one of the clutch plates is moving when i pull the clutch lever, is this normal? I was expecting to see them all separate?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online