Yamaha 1100 dragstar clutch slip possibly ?

Warren Terror
This post is 3635 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just after a bit of advice,

Just picked up a Yamaha 1100 dragstar, its pretty standard apart from the exhaust and lots of chrome.

It seems to be running fine, its a 2005 with only 12k on the clocks. . . . one owner since new.

when I crack the throttle open in a low gear, the engine note seems to change and the clutch appears to slip a little, the speedo rises, but after a few seconds of the bike roaring, the engine noise will subside and it will start to accelerate a little more aggressive than usual.

standard test - like put the bike in top gear when rolling at 5mph doesn't seem to make it any worse or better, it still seems to slip and hesitate before pulling away.

standard test like front brake on, pulling away in 1st doesn't seem to make it slip.

im not sure if this is a standard characteristic of a shaft drive bike, The bike is still under dealer warrantly, the dealer explains that this is perfectly normal for a cruiser,.
(I have had 10 years experience riding, so its not as if its my first bike, and don't really know how bikes should behave).
any ideas anyone, or is this infact normal ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

from what I understand and I can easy wrong understand (lol) is act like the intelligent clutch of the new midnight stars but also can be a wrong setup of the clutch cable. I guess the intelligent clutch don`t was released in 2005 so, you can try adjust your clutch cable.

Yeah sounds like a clutch cable to me, at least that's what I would check first, then move on to bigger things if not that.

The cable was the first thing that I checked. and seems fine.
I may change the cable to see if it makes a huge difference. . . but it does sound like its not a common problem, or it does feel as if the garage I bought it from is trying one over on me.

Clutch slipping makes the engine sound and feel like an automatic. Is this what is happening?

If it is slipping then you'll need new friction plates. Not very expensive. Might be a good idea to get a new set of aftermarket stiffer clutch springs while you're at it.

Exhaust any other possibilities though, as at 12k it's a bit early for the clutch to start going. Unless the previous owner was a dork who kept riding the clutch...

Edit: just seen that you've just picked it up from a garage. Talk to them about it.

I still think you need adjust your cable.. you say is looking ok but is not about the cable condition.

when I was at 6000 miles on service with my bike, I bring back the bike with a problem... I had problem to shift the gears down... not allways... sometime... I go back to service, and they say is because the cable is not correctly adjusted... they adjust the cable and I got your problem... slipping clutch and violent acceleration after I get some speed. this is all what they change, and they do this with me here, so I saw exactly what they do. they make more adjustments on the cable and this problem disappeared. play a bit with your cable adjustment.

the inteligent clutch of new yamahas make your bike to start moving slowly, no matter if you complete release the clutch... the engine will continue to be accelerated and the clutch is slipping until your bike will get some speed. this prevent you to lose the control of the bike in case you accelerate to violent.

I have no idea what oil has been put in the bike, it was serviced recently by Yamaha, so im guessing they should have put the correct oil in there.

when you speak of cable adjustment, there is sufficient freeplay cable end, I have tried looseing it from the handlebar end to see if it makes any difference without luck.

surely, adjusting it from the engine side, and the top side will produce the same result if there is sufficient freeplay in the clutch lever ?

oh, the dealer is insisting that it isn't slipping, otherwise it would be evident when trying to pull away in 1st with the front brake firmly held on.

its quite difficult convincing the dealer to get on the back while I demonstrate.