dismantle trottle cable of a dt 400 mx

Tom125mx
This post is 3796 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi experts!

does anyone know how the "black box" in which the throttle cable under the petrol tank is divided into the two cables for the carb and the oilpump? it cannot be very complicated, but it refuses to open.. grrrr.

thx in advance

tom

p.s. i'm currently restoring a 1977 dt 400mx (almost finished) and a 1976 dt 250 type 512 ((just started)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yes. cylindrical...

will i have to take the cable off the carb and the pump before the cylinder can be opened?

tom

yes of course you will tom, you'll need some free cable

can I ask why you want to do this?

It's not meant to be dismantled on a whim...only to change a cable

If thats all you want to do then don't try and take apart the housing you willl probably end up breaking it,and there is no need to dissasemble it just to lube it.

step 1 remove cable/s from bike

2 hang cable

3 feed oil from top with a cable luber of a funnel made from tape untill it runs out the bottom

4then refit to bike

repeat yearly and your good to go.

how can I remove the cables without opening that box??? the cable connector is inside!?

and: since the oilpump is disconnected anyway: it might be the best solution to go with a single cable anyway.. do you agree?

where do I find a descriptio how to upload photos? it does not appear intuitive or selfexplantory to me ;-)

tom

New member section FAQ for up loading pictuers.

If you want to eliminate the oil pump then best to get a new single cable,as the cable are off set in the tube and removing 1 is not a good idea the plastic barrel inside can jam up without the pull from the oil cable/pump return spring.

All I ment was remove cable from bike as a whole unit,if the pump is still there why not hook it up, its easier than pre mixing all the time and set up right you will use less oil

Fix the pump, they only appear to not work because idiots mess with them because they dont understand what they do.

Classic missconception is more oil is good, not on a 2stroke.

Fixing it will save oil, mess, inconvenience and the bike will run better.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online