What is considered high mileage where problems may arrise?

EazyDuz
This post is 3799 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Looking at some 650 Dragstars on Ebay and most range between 10-30 thousand miles.

Ive seen a couple i like on other sites too, but one has 21,000 miles. Is this a tad high? Or should i expect it to be trouble free for a long time?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

dont be guided simply by mileage

You can have a 10k bike thats has the arse ragged off it and no servicing works, and then a 40k bike thats been regularly ridden and well maintained. Id take my chance with the latter

try and establish some history

+1 with NSD,

As long as the bike has a good service history then the millage dont matter. (ok its a car ref but) my mate here at work has a Volvo T40 that is serviced every year with out fail and has 314k on the clock and is still going like a dream.

The only millage id be slightly concerned with would be aroung the 80-100k mark on a bike but again as long as there is history with it if i liked it id buy it.

Whereas, IMO, 650 Drag Queens tend to start encountering notable problems around the 40,000 mark.

Decent Service History is nice, but it more often comes down to what kind of mileage it's had (wet, dry, motorway, obsessive polishing, frequent servicing) and how often they strip the bike down and clean all the places you can't otherwise reach. There are components buried deep inside the bike that not even a jetwash will reach, yet muck still gets in there.

Believe me - I'm in the middle of a complete bolt-for-bolt rebuild on a 2001 650 and I'm learning all sorts of things I could have done with knowing several years earlier. I'm also an expert in what happens when you abuse Drag Queen!

21k clocked sounds OK, to be honest, but do give it a thorough testing beforehand.

Come on Tasky where is the project thread on this one then!? if your doign a nut and bolt strip and rebuild i wanna watch it.

O and one little tip (if you didn't already know) dont forget to put the thin wire rod for the back brake on BEFORE you put the swing arm in, as it wont go in with the swing arm in place. (i found that out............... twice! :eusa_doh: )

It's already in bits... and the state that bike had gotten in was pretty embarrassing!!

Surely warrents a build thread tho??

You just going to restore it or you going to add / remove bits?

Restore to a working, saleable condition.

Anyone wanna buy a Drag Queen? 48k clocked!! :D

Give you £5 and a turnip

dont be guided simply by mileage

You can have a 10k bike thats has the arse ragged off it and no servicing works, and then a 40k bike thats been regularly ridden and well maintained. Id take my chance with the latter

try and establish some history

Good advice +1 This is so true.

I know someone on a US forum took the 1300 Midnight Star to over 100,000 miles with no issues, just regular servicing and a few replacement bits around 80,000...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online