New Member with 1973 AT3 pictures and questions.

lexpaul
This post is 3813 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

New member, look at my pictures. I just picked up, what appears to be, a 1973 AT3. The frame and motor # AT1-219394. It runs but not very good. It has a new battery in it and starts easy, but it is a bit of a bogger, and so I am going to start this project by cleaning the carb and replacing the points and condenser / plug.

Here's the deal, I will get a book but don't have one now. Question, I have two different plugs in this thing, it's hooked up to a NGK B8ES and the spare is a W24ES-U ( not sure of what brand this is). So, is either of these the correct plug for the bike?

Does this look like the original carb Mikuni - what would be the basic start point for the two screws in the side, how many turns out from closed?

The bikes in nice shape but dirty, chrome is good after wiping off, seat is trashed (where can I get new foam),

Electricals work, baffles in pipe, brakes are shot and cables need replacing, hi/lo works, tank is almost clean, doesn't appear to leak anything. Shifts nice :)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am not a mechanic, but I went through the restoration from hell with my T500 and this one looks to be baby stuff compared to that,, thanks

imagejpg1_zpsded65229.jpg

imagejpg6_zps159b8846.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsf1674acf.jpg

imagejpg2_zps974b4ff6.jpg

imagejpg3_zps1696b331.jpg

imagejpg8_zps6e01e938.jpg

imagejpg11_zpsd0bcae15.jpg

imagejpg9_zps013d5de3.jpg

imagejpg10_zps3ba261b1.jpg

imagejpg7_zpse40b9eb9.jpg

imagejpg13_zps882ee8f6.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
:welcome:

2 plug head dates back to when plugs were less effective outside their optimum, so you had one to start and cold running another for highway (speed) work.

its the right carb, why are you worried about the screw settings, is it running bad.

As far as it matters the one with the spring behind it sets the tick over speed by lifting the slide slightly, the other is the mixture screw (does precious little apart from the transition from idle to main jet. Its normally around 1.5 turns out.

Welcome paul ,,,she looks good,, B8ES is the correct plug,,,, most parts are available on ebay . some OEM even... :welcome:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online