Questions to FJR1300 riders

Meerkat81
This post is 3833 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

I am considering getting an FJR1300 to replace my XJ900 diversion and although some test rides are planned I would like the feedback and advice from any current FJR1300 riders.

I know the FJR has brilliant write ups but the following are things in my mind.

1. Gears - The XJ900 has 5 gears and I always feel when doing touring, motorways or distance it just needs a 6th to drop the rev's a little at motorway speeds. Is this the case with the FJR1300 or is the gearing a lot better.

2 - Parts pricing - The parts for a XJ900 are readily available and fairly cheap, The FJR1300 being a lot newer, more advanced, is there point i should check really carefully when buying as would be expensive fixes.

3. Handling - As on a test ride, and not knowing the bike too well i am unlikely to go throwing the bike around, but when not touring i ride with the likes of Ninja's 995's GXR and CBR riders. Will it be too much of a bike to consider keeping up. (Although I manage on a divi)

4. general service - I do most of the minor things to the divi, and like to tweak bits as and when, is the FJR too advanced for an armature to do any work and is it near impossible to access because of the fairing.

That’s it for now. any help and comments would be very welcome

Thanks in advance Meerkat

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Start by looking here: http://fjclub.co.uk/#/buying-a-fjr1300/4546979445

The FJR forum is a great place to get opinions from a wide range of long-time riders.

Also, consider signing up with the FJ & FJR Owners Club, there. The benefits are fantastic.

The Club workshop has two of the best and most experienced mechanics for these bikes. Ernie has been working on the FJR1300 bike since their introduction in 2001 and can manage a full 24k service in a single day!

Also, the Club shop has some very nice, exclusive parts that you won't find anywhere else!

Yep as Tasky says best thing I ever did joining the FJ club loads of info and loads of spares at really good prices, some that you won't find else where, at £17 it's money well spent. Wish you luck in finding a bike you like.

Hi

I too switched from a 900 divi to a 57 FJR,

to try to answer your questions:

1. Gears - The XJ900 has 5 gears and I always feel when doing touring, motorways or distance it just needs a 6th to drop the rev's a little at motorway speeds. Is this the case with the FJR1300 or is the gearing a lot better,

My FJR is also 5 gears and it could also do with 6th gear, although the bike is plenty quick enough on the 5 gears at sustained high speeds 6thgear would lower the revs making the bike a bit more relaxed,

Parts pricing - The parts for a XJ900 are readily available and fairly cheap, The FJR1300 being a lot newer, more advanced, is there point i should check really carefully when buying as would be expensive fixes.

My bike is low milage, but so far I am supprised at just how fast I seem to go through tyres, the front tyre wears at a higher rate than my divi used to, I suppose its just the price of braking such a weighty bike,

Handling - As on a test ride, and not knowing the bike too well i am unlikely to go throwing the bike around, but when not touring i ride with the likes of Ninja's 995's GXR and CBR riders. Will it be too much of a bike to consider keeping up. (Although I manage on a divi)

I used to ride out with a friend on a 916 duke and could keep up on the Divi unless he got too spirited on the duke, I reckon on the FJR I would struggle a bit although could make up ground on the grunt the bike has comming out of turns,

general service - I do most of the minor things to the divi, and like to tweak bits as and when, is the FJR too advanced for an armature to do any work and is it near impossible to access because of the fairing.

I have not had the farings off yet, so far I have found that the suspension linkage lubrication that Yam used when the bike was assembled is pretty woeful, I have stripped out the lower linkages and regreased them something that the divi needed too, my only real problem with the FJR is its pretty weighty and does seem to want to use most of the road when taking high speed turns, (probably due to my crap riding) something I never really experienced on the Divi, and when the weather is really hot the FJR seems to vapourise its fuel and can take a few extra prods on the button to fire up,

The gbox is clunky when selecting 1st from cold, I generally push the bike in gear with the clutch pulled to free the clutch off for the first start of any journey, also I am not too keen on the panier side box body work attachment covers they look like they wont take much effort to scratch the body work if you use them often,

I have to say if Yam did a new upgraded 900 divi I would of just brought another.

I live pretty close to Lincoln perhaps if you are in my area some time (Grantham) msg me and I could tag along on a short ride,

Aj