Which Drag 650 paint scheme looks better?

Ttaskmaster
This post is 3820 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK boys, girls, kings, queens and all in-betweens....

I have FINALLY managed to get the 650 Dragstar down to most of the basic component parts, enough that I can start polishing and painting frames, sub-frames and all that.

The question is what to do with it... It's originally the standard black & chrome colours of 2001:

1024px-YamahaDragstar.jpg

It's a sorely used & all-weather-abused bike with almost 50k on the clock, and will be up for sale as the SWMBO owner really wants a Hornet-like bike.

While checking sale values, I saw this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307047645719/sort/pricedesc/usedbikes/cc-to/700cc/cc-from/600cc/model/xvs/make/yamaha/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/rg71jt/quicksearch/true?logcode=p

Would you consider buying a bike like this?

Would gloss black enginework look (and sell) better?

Would I be better off staying standard?

What's the word on the street, Yamaheads?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Tasky, I always think that unless your going to keep it forever then standard is best, the next buyer might not like your paint scheme and that can knock the price back whereas if it's standard then they can always paint it the colour they want, my XJ is the colours I wanted and if and when I come to sell it I don't expect to get the full price unless the new buyer has the same tastes as me even though it has 28 coats of paint on it. As long as it's clean and serviced most folks will be happy that they have a new bike to ride. Just my thoughts on it and good luck selling it mate.

I should perhaps explain - 'sorely used & all-weather-abused' is Tasky talk for "OMG, that chrome is fucked to hell and no amount of polishing will save it"!! :D

I'd normally keep it standard (I practice most of what I preach, generally), but it will look more like the dog's arse than his danglies!!

I'd just tidy it up as much as possible, sticking to the standard theme.

so long as there's a few shiny bits of paint/chrome in there for the new owner to justify buying it, then you'll get the best bang per buck

Are you selling it then mate? If so I could ask the wife permission for another project ha ha.

Always wanted to do a drag bike dragstar lol

Perhaps you could insist that the buyer only gets to see it from a distance, maybe invest in some binoculars, but to be honest it looks ok in the photo, your not one of these anal types are you? Who insist that every mark and scratch must be explained. Just put it up for sale and be honest about the odd bit of wear and then your covered. Or better yet take it out the day before they come round and do some grass tracking with it, I mean have you seen some of the things on EBAY that get sold?

If your just going to sell it, then I would just do what needs to be done to clean it up and be presentable with the lowest cost.

So no powder coating,if the exhaust is the biggest sore point then have it coated or wrap it. A buffing pad on a bench grinder will do wonders for the aluiminiun bits and a few cans of paint can go along way.

but to be honest it looks ok in the photo

That's a generic pic showing the 2001 colour scheme.

This one is in bits, half of which are rusty orange!!!!!

Are you selling it then mate? If so I could ask the wife permission for another project ha ha.

It will be for sale, yes.

This is not a For Sale thread, as I can't post those... Personally, I'd have conscience trouble selling a Drag with 50k of hard all-year riding on it, anyway, but I believe me and my mechanic can make it last a good 20-30 more so long as it looks the biz. I'm just concerned that the chrome is too far gone already.

Oh sorry Tasky thought that was the bike (silly me!!) paint what you can and wrap what you can't as I said before have you seen the "THINGS" on ebay that get daft money? When I sold my neighbours rusty wreck he got 2K ( I think?) for it and it was held together with cobwebs.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online