Thundercat advise

This post is 3827 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone, I've just joined. I've just bought a Thundercat that has been stood for about 18 months after the guy got made redundant. My plan is to restore it, improve the handling without compromising comfort too much and to get 100+ bhp at the back wheel. Can any one give me some advise please on what works and what doesn't etc please. I've just come out of a failed relationship with an FJ 1200 that turned into a money pit and I don't want to make the same mistake again. I have more ambition that talent when it comes to doing bikes, lol. So any good advise would be much appreciated thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

welcome to the forum, 100+ bhp at the rear wheel. Why? Thundercat engine is superb at what it does. What the cat needs is suspention and brakes to stretch the engine more.

Clean her up, check the gearbox VERY carefully as if it jumps out of second you have another money pit. Then a shock and fork rebuild will give you a very competant bike.

Hi Winston" The carbs be the first thin to pull of her,, check out felix"s post in projects,, hes just restored a FZ600 :welcome: gives you ideas

Thanks mate, the handling is 100% my priority. 100+ bhp is not essential I'm just interested to know people's experience. I want the engine to be as good as it can be without compromising tractability or torque, I don't want the power delivery of a two stroke! A dynojet, filter and exhaust will be first and that may well be it. Do they have an ecu? If so is a power commander with the money? Is the kind of thing I'm interested to know. Also what is the quality of the oe suspension? I can get the rear shock rebuilt quite cheaply or is it better to buy an after market? I can get progressive fork springs cheaply enough, I noticed there are some after market adjusters for the forks, are they practical or just bling? Anyway if anybody would be so kind as to share their experiences with me, if you ever visit Worcester there will be a pint with your name on it. Thanks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online