dt175mx / NVT rambler carb issues

neiltnt1973
This post is 3803 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

I have rescued a NVT rambler out the back of a wood mill, this uses an dt175mx engine, but guess you all know that!! needless to say the carb was gummed up good.

I have cleaned it best I can and the bike runs, but only smoothly on half to full throttle, less than that and it bogs down.

am I right in thinking the pilot jet controls the fuelling at this throttle setting? could it be this that needs cleaning some more? if so were is it in the carb?

also I do not have any air filter on it, there is no air box. I have been trying to get it going on an open carb.

will this cause the low rpm running issues?

as the air boxes are unobtainable what can I use to filter the air? apart from the K N route?

can I rig anything up that would cost pennies as I am only going to be using it as a field bike?

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yep pilot jet.

Yep run like a sack of spanners on an open carb.

Piece of plastic pipe straight on the carb, 6 to 8 inches long with the pod filter on the end should do ok. Got a bit of volume (internal space not noise) and not too many reflection problems.

thanks Cynic, is the pilot jet removable in these carbs so it can be cleaned? if so where is it ?!!!

you say on a length of pipe, what like plumbing pipe?

and you say a pod filter on the end, like a ramair filter?

thanks

Yeh neil " ram air pod on pipe he means,,, the pilot jet removes , you need a small flat blade driver [good quality]

thers a post on here with video on carb service,, :eusa_think:

It will need jetting but by how much...?

Dts are sensitive to lean mixture and constant full throttle so stay on the rich side.

Its also why pod filters are not generally used on them as pods only work well at full throttle.

great, got a ramair filter ordered, will let you know how it goes!!!!!

also was looking at getting another 175 ported, Mick Abbey is not to far from me and ive heard some good things.

has anyone on here had any experience of him?.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...