Clutch Plates Stuck

vecie78
This post is 3682 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

I bought a Yamaha XJ N Diversion last year and got the plates replaced a couple of months ago after which I rode for 2K miles.

I am now experiencing a problem when I start the bike in the morning. After I start the engine and put the first gear the bike goes off.It seems the plates get stuck when the engine is cold. Is it possible the mechanic put the wrong type of oil?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Vince

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Vince,

Normally i wouldn't reply to someone that hasn't introduced them self via the new member section but this could potetually be a leg snapper problem if you drop the bike.

As bikes are a wet clutch the oil thickens over night and as such stick the plates together nothing to do with the wrong oil. Before you start the bike in the morning do the following:

1. turn on the ignition,
  2. kick out the stand
  3. stick it in first gear.
  4. pull in the clutch
  5. rock the bike back and forth till she rolls freely.
  6. sit on the bike,
  7. kick into neutral
  8. start the bike,
  9. into first gear and your be fine.

Common thing with most bikes, but when this happens first thing in the morning and the coffee has yet to kick in they can come crashing down ontop of your leg.

Hi Vince, Welcome to the YOC, unless he put car oil in then most motorcycle oil will be ok, car oil has loads of addatives in it that will make your clutch slip but not stick them together, it might be that you have the wrong springs in or the old ones are weak, did he change the springs as well? other than that the best you can do is take the clutch plates out and see if they are still straight as a bent plate can make the clutch behave in the way your describing. Try measuring the springs when you get them out to see if they have the correct length, (look in your manual for the sizes) as they can become compressed over time. that's the best I can come up with without looking at it myself hope that helps a bit.

PS you will get more feedback to your question if you do an INTRO in the new members section as folks like to know who they are talking to.

Hi Vince,

Normally i wouldn't reply to someone that hasn't introduced them self via the new member section but this could potetually be a leg snapper problem if you drop the bike.

As bikes are a wet clutch the oil thickens over night and as such stick the plates together nothing to do with the wrong oil. Before you start the bike in the morning do the following:

1. turn on the ignition,
  2. kick out the stand
  3. stick it in first gear.
  4. pull in the clutch
  5. rock the bike back and forth till she rolls freely.
  6. sit on the bike,
  7. kick into neutral
  8. start the bike,
  9. into first gear and your be fine.

Common thing with most bikes, but when this happens first thing in the morning and the coffee has yet to kick in they can come crashing down ontop of your leg.

Hi thanks, I have done that and it works.It's just.. I was looking for a more "permanent" solution.

Hi Vince, Welcome to the YOC, unless he put car oil in then most motorcycle oil will be ok, car oil has loads of addatives in it that will make your clutch slip but not stick them together, it might be that you have the wrong springs in or the old ones are weak, did he change the springs as well? other than that the best you can do is take the clutch plates out and see if they are still straight as a bent plate can make the clutch behave in the way your describing. Try measuring the springs when you get them out to see if they have the correct length, (look in your manual for the sizes) as they can become compressed over time. that's the best I can come up with without looking at it myself hope that helps a bit.

PS you will get more feedback to your question if you do an INTRO in the new members section as folks like to know who they are talking to.

Thanks for your reply :) will do intro presentation.

So it seems that I should take it back to the mechanic and have it checked again since the plates (according to him) have been replaced and the whole job wasn't carried out properly.

On 3/26/2014 at 12:07 AM, vecie78 said:

Hi thanks, I have done that and it works.It's just.. I was looking for a more "permanent" solution.

I've never heard of a perminant fix to this mate, its just the way they are.

I guess you could change the plates for new ones or do as Slice said but if you can't be bothered to just rock the bike to free them up i guess you can't be bothered to pump up your tyres as well? its a simple thing to do and its free. i had to do it every day with my 125 and it never bothered me.

Personally I would take it apart and have a look myself, if it's the springs then it's an easy fix and you will be surprised how easy it is to do this job, rocking the bike back and forth is a bit of a pain but to be honest it's the cheapest fix out there. one other thing comes to mind however have you looked at the cable and clutch levers? it might be a case of adjustment or just a good lube of the various parts. can't do any harm.

How does the oil look, :eusa_think: you must have rusty steels [ plates] it should stand [ not in use] for a few months without sticking..

New plates in an old basket with old steels. Whats the milage, there nay be rough edges on the basket from the old plates.

That could play up. The bike should stand for at least a couple of weeks without issue.

Give it some welly, then when it's nice and warm ride the clutch a little, not too much it might just bed everything together a bit better,

could save you a lot of hassle, might not do anything but its worth a try.

I agree with Tommy, the Gilera was dragging its arse around and done a few miles on it and its getting better.

still crap when cold though

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online