skimming the head dtr 125

dsb2014
This post is 3722 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

right so ive been having issues with my dt not starting. Ive now removed the head to check the piston etc to find theres water under the head gasket and also in the crank case. The water is along the top of the cylinder my question is the heads surpose to hve been skimmed but obvious its still warped some where so i need to know how i can tell where needs to be skimmed to level it then i can wet and dry on the glass to level it all off ????????

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Spread some oil on said glass, then look from underneath, you'll see if head is warped by gaps in oil.

Why is t obvious its still warped. Nearly all head/barrel leaks on these engines are caused by dodgy head gaskets. You should only use genuine head gaskets. Anything else leaks.

i got my gasket kit from yambits a few months ago. ive skimmed he head and cylinder as nev perscribed excellent way to see lol. this bikes not for starting at all ive taken the head off again now theres only water on top of the gasket nothing underneath tho????. the bottom of the crank case are full of liquid looks like oily water or may be petrol and oil.

Just because it came from Yambits doesn't make it any good. They will still sell you the nasty pattern rubbish.

Do you turn the fuel off when you park the bike?

wen it was running i did yeah. but its had a full rebuild since then and aint been run since thats the problem. ive got spark the plug wet but it wont run for shxt lol. wheres the best place to get a genuine gasket the 1 i got from yambits was part of a full set ????????

iappreciate your help mate

Yambits sell them, or Webmoto, amongst others.

If it isn't sealing water out when its not even running....... What is the base gasket like?

base gasket seems fine all where replaced wen the rebuild was done. i put a full jerry can of petrol in the tank last week and wen i was working on the bike yesterday there was hardly any juice left in the tank its sef but the cranks pxxs wet througth

So your crank is full of fuel then.

Head gasket could be fine and the hydraulic pressure from your kicks could be breaking the seal. The difficulty is draining the crank.

Leave things open, maybe warm it but that's difficult to do safely. You 'could' pop the barrel and head back on, plug the carb inlet on the engine then spin the engine with a battery drill, most of the fluid will blow out of the plug hole and the exhaust. Not pretty but effective. Then a heat gun warming the area under the engine where the crank is may help clear more.

One thing is for certain it wont start in a month of sundays at the moment.

It sounds like your actual problem is with the float valve in the carb, it isn't sealing through dirt or being worn. That has allowed the engine to fill with fuel, literally.

You need to look at this, otherwise the problems will keep repeating, with a dud float valve you may flood out in town riding, even hydraulic lock is possible which can crack pistons and heads.

as it just a dt get a couple of buddies to give you a hand and turn the bike up side down,if you have compressor blow it out.If you dont have a compressor then now you have a excuse to buy one everone should own one!

well got all the fuel out of the crank cases and put it all back together and still only back firing. fuels getting to the cylinder theres a spark but still just bang!!!!

wen ive seen a spark its not a clicky sort if ya know what i mean like u can hear but its there in sight theres was a blue and yellow wire going fro my cdi to nothing wen i connected it to the other blue+blue/white from the fly wheel and earthed the plug i could hear the spark aswell as see it. not had time to ty and start it since i connected that wire gonna try tomoz. does any 1 know if this sounds ok ?????

well today i found a old pair of slippers and thought id try kicking the dt and 1st bang sprang to life lol. thease are cheap asda slippers i dont know how they started it but they did ha ha buzzins under stated

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online