xvs 125 rear spindle question

kepeb
This post is 3835 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello all,

The warm days are coming and the rundown xvs i bought last year is finally getting some attention besides turning the engine over once every few days.

Got to the back wheel, and it was so seized there was no way to get it of without wrecking the swing arm. after days of fruitless effort penetrating oil soaking and bashings I decided to just cut the spindle/axle and finally get it out. then replace it.

examining the spindle, there was NO way this would of come out without cutting it, its rusted solid.

MY QUESTION IS:

Between the two centre wheel bearings, there is a wide spacer (about 3" long) which is rusted tight to the spindle, this appears to be free floating inside the hub and is much smaller diameter than the inside diameter of the wheel.

they aren't included with replacement spindles, does this need to be in there?

if so, (and presuming i can even get one) how do i hold it between the bearings while i put the spindle back through?

any help or educational knowledge would be appreciated!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Best bet if you can't buy one is take the old fucked one to a metal shop and get them to spin and new one up on a lathe.

The way I get my spacer in is to put the axle in the swing arm just a bit then stick on the spacer, put in rear wheel and push the axle in then fit the other spacer (if it has one) then push the axle in all the way.

Before you even think about putting in the new axle smoother it in bearing grease and then it will never jam up again.

Before you cut the old one did you try sticking a breaker bar or a long arm socket and wrench on it and tried turning it? This would have snapped the rust off in side and would have aloud you to tap it out with a soft mallet.

Do you mean the spacer inside the Hub, :eusa_think: or as Noise describes above,, outer

ok yea, the one inside, cheers guys,

i guess i can hold it up with a screwdriver while i get the thread end of the axle in. now just have to find one.

my guess is its just to brace the inner spinning part of the bearings?

noise, before removal i tried every which way to loosen it, unfortunately it is rusted to the centre spacer which is wider than the inner part of the bearings making removal physically impossible without cutting it or the swingarm.

thanks for the replies :)

Ok you have to remove the bearings to get the spacer out now if you havent allready,once you have it out just heat it red hot and it will come off the axel.

Heat it red hot and dunk it in water this will snap it free of the old axel might need to heat it again to knock the old axel out,it 's just rust holding it on no need to buy a new one.

As you wont be able to knock the bearing out by hitting the outer race you will be needing a new bearing,remove any clips that might be there and drive the bearing out with the old axel and center sleve.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online