anyone shed some light on this issue (throttle sticking)

shaun_1990
This post is 3833 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everybody, had abit of a nightmare today if I'm being honest & I'm hoping this is a really simple question before I go and break something or someone.... anyway here goes... hope everyone is sitting comfortably.

Decided to try my hand at fitting my own bars today (renthal braced bars) on my xj6n, left hand side went on great! all be to the grip moves but that just needs some grip glue and jobs a good one, right hand side was going well until the point of i've drilled holes for the little plastic lug to sit in & then notice that the bars had dropped a little. The control did not line up well... so I shouted a little & then re-drilled RESULT! new bars are on all thats left is to put the bar ends on oh yeah and test that everything is all fine & dandy.

by this point I'm all happy that it looks better (IMO) to realise that when I turn the bars to the right the throttle is just jamming open (which I can't see working to well on the road) looked at the one thing that has screwed me over today for about 10 - 20 minutes & I cannot see anyway to actually help it, the noe thing I did try was moving the throttle tube & controls closer the the centre which did seem to work however there is a huge gap from grip to bar end (6-7cm worth).

I did not grease up the bar underneath the throttle tube however it turns freely when the bar is straight so I would assume no issue??

can anyone shed any light or help in any way shape or form?

Shaun

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like the cable is too short to me.

thanks for the reply, is there anyway to slacken the cable almost? the little spiny wheel underneath? I know not its proper term but could not think of the word)

they are the same height but they are wider by a little bit

You could try and reroute the cable but you have to make sure its free from snagging on both locks, best bet is a longer cable though.

is it that easy to just get a new cable or do I need a specific one? yeah I may try to re-route it, talk about a huge learning curve haha

Measure your present cable then add about 4 inches to the total then look for a cable that has the same ends as yours but is the new length, that's the best your can do I'm afraid, if you leave it and then take it for an MOT it will fail because of the over rev due to the cable length. Rerouting it might work but it's designed to work in a specific place and if you f++k with it (take it outside of the normal route) then you could kill yourself if it jams. You could try a set of emergency cable nipples from EBAY, cost about £8 for a set and you can make your own cable up to fit.

Some bike parts shops will make one up to your required length. Depends on the end fittings, although having a braided line made is one way to get a decent result.

Depends what you can afford.

I would try first taking all the adjustment you can get at the carb and throttle and re routing first and if still no joy move both left and right controls in the same amount and cut the ends of the bar off with a pipe cutter. I would bet you can get the slack you need or at worse you might have to cut off 3-4 mm,hardley worth the hassel of custom cables

Custom made cables are a pita when it breaks and you need another one

Little update for everyone, I wasn't going to let it win...

Anyway after removing panels & hunting down the cable I found it was snagging behind the ignition barrel, so have made sure it will not snag anymore & allies dandy :) I shall get some pictures as soon as possible for you all

Shaun

oh yes nothing better than a free fix, a little lesson learnt for me also, just need to get out for a ride on her now

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online