bad news? hydrolocked and starter gear

satchuml
This post is 3838 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So this is my first bike and i already know thatI did a bad thing by leaving the bike on PRI instead of ON when it came to the fuel...and I'm pretty sure that I hydro locked the bike after it refused to start. It made a loud cluck and not what i believe is the starter gear being stripped i have a question. Would it be a good idea for a person who has never messed with engines in his life tackle this job or should I take the bike to a shop for repair. I have the Clymer manual and am good at following directions. I am including the video that i took of what it does...Any help would be greatly appreciated. An estimate on how much a shop would charge would be great too. Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Try pulling the spark plugs out ground them on the cylinder and see what it does.If it's just hydro locked it will turn over

Oh also check the oil level and drain if nessary

The bike won't start for me to warm it up to change the oil. And is that noise that its making the starter gear? It does that when inhit the starter. I'm worried that I ground the teeth off the gear.

Just drop the oil but it does sound like you striped the teeth off,it wont hurt to turn the motor over with no oil just dont start it pull the spark plugs out as I said.

ok I'll try one more time pull spark plugs drain oil try to turn motor over with starter,this way the motor has no compression and the oil cant hydro lock it if it turns over then the starter is not ducked if it still dosent turn over then the starter and or starter clutch is broken and you need to fix it .

But as your having trouble following simple instructions then mabey better to leave it to a professional.

Got it and can do...Like I said I am new to this and am open to learning just need to be a little patient with me. The last post was dumbed down enough for me so I will go ahead and give that a try! Thanks for your patience! I've also heard about the float needles but I'll try the changing the oil and the plugs first

OH boy you should just leave it to a pro I didnt say chang oil and plugs just remove Good Luck.

ok I'll try one more time

Sorry, *what* was it you're telling him to do, again...? I'm sure you said, but I must have missed it!! :lol:

It made a loud cluck

That will be the fowled plugs....

• Like 2

Starter clutch , or i"v seen a Zed 1 shear the woodruff key, as starter clutch is on the rotor,,, either way , if you have a job understanding Remove the plugs,, :rolleyes: , its wallet bashing time,,,

Now that the bike has no oil in it id now remove the starter motor from the bike like so:

1. Remove cable from the starter motor
  2. undo the two bolts holding it in
  3. slowly pull and winggle starter motor out the case

You can now check to see if its the teeth on the motor that are fooked. If the teeth are ok then next get two bits of wire and your battery:

1. Connect one cable to the + on the battery
  2. Connect the other wire to the - on the battery
  3. Connect the - to the body of the starter motor
  4. TOUCH (do not hold it on) the + wire to the bolt comming out of the motor where the cable you removed at Part 1 of the removal stage.

The motor should spin up, if it don't spin but makes a noise then the starter motor is fooked.

If the Starter spins next thing to do is;

1. Get a torch
  2. turn on torch
  3. shin the torch in the hole where the starter motor was
  4. you should see the fly wheel
  5. check the teeth on the fly wheel
  6. if they are ok then more investigating is needed
  7. if the teeth are fooked say the following
  • Fuck
  • Bollocks
  • cunting wank prick
  • i want my mum
  • Wife! i need a cuppa
  • Why did i buy this heap of shit
  • Wonder how much i can get for scrap?
  • Where is my hammer
  • I know i'll try and fix it
  • O shit im well over my head with this (said during re-build)
  • Wife, where is the phone book for the local bike mechanic?

Good luck and i really do hope that its just the starter motor thats packed up :thumb:

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online