Not a Yamaha story But !!!

slice
This post is 3847 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As some of you know I picked up a couple of Suzuki Bandit GSF400s from my local bike dealer that had been left or abandoned by the previous owner, I got them home got one running and flogged on the other one as it was a complete basket case, so finally got it finished a couple of days ago and decided to take it for an MOT back at the shop, long story short a slight tapping became a rattle and then as I pulled over to see what was going on the thing just stopped dead about a mile from home, got it back to the garage to find it's dropped a bloody valve and I have 2 broken valve springs, lots of swearing later I have it all apart and am looking for a pair of valve springs and an exhaust valve, the original is free and not bent but going to replace it anyway, if any of you know of a good supplier of old Suzuki Bandit parts can you let me know as otherwise I may have a ritual burning of this bloody thing. Not really the bikes fault as it appears that it was last on the road in 2001, still the last thing you think of is that it's going to throw valves away. Oh well will keep me busy for a couple of day's I suppose.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That's really bad luck.. but if you are going to repair it I would change all the valve springs as a matter of course.

Thanks fellas will look at both of your sites, Preload the problem is that a full set is about £145 and to be honest I really can't be arsed with it any more and if her indoors hears that I have spend another hundred or so quid on "THAT BLOODY BIKE" I might have to look into camping as a way of life, Ho Hum never mind.

Well just an update, bought a complete head inc cam shafts and valves for £75 which is not bad as the price for a "SINGLE VALVE is £48 + vat" so Monday morning while your at work I will be in the garage rebuilding the Suzi, bloody thing had better work or your all invited round for a BBQ as I set light to it !!!!

I thought so AH and the photo was a really good HD one so pretty sure it's in good nick, I will be removing the valves and checking the springs and relap the valves before it all goes back together so with luck should have it all together by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

Bloody arse bandits, :eusa_doh: , will you need shims after reground valves,?

Well just an update, bought a complete head inc cam shafts and valves for £75 which is not bad as the price for a "SINGLE VALVE is £48 + vat" so Monday morning while your at work I will be in the garage rebuilding the Suzi, bloody thing had better work or your all invited round for a BBQ as I set light to it !!!!

Win, win I love BBQ's :jossun:

Bloody arse bandits, :eusa_doh: , will you need shims after reground valves,?

Most older zuks are screw type not much messing with shims.

Dose this mean you taking up camping Slice?

Ah camping !! supposed to be nice isn't it? No dt I am informed it's ok for me to buy the part as it will allow me to sell it, my wife has become her "MOTHER" bloody hell !!! But back to the other points, it has no shims as such just the usual lock nut and screw head adjusters so an easy thing to do, I do not like BBQ's as had a bad experience with an undercooked chicken leg as a kid and I have no wish to spend the next week or so in the toilet Tommy. Thanks for your help fellas been nice to have someone to moan at that actually understands what having your bike fall apart feels like.

Thanks fellas will look at both of your sites, Preload the problem is that a full set is about £145 and to be honest I really can't be arsed with it any more and if her indoors hears that I have spend another hundred or so quid on "THAT BLOODY BIKE" I might have to look into camping as a way of life, Ho Hum never mind.

LOL I'll send you a note for the missus saying that I gave it too you. ;-)

Its the problem with smaller motors they tend to get revved to death.

Your not wrong Preload, this one is your typical Suzi and very buzzy, only seems happy at around 7 to 9 thousand revs and really has no torque as such but when you wring it's neck it really gets a shift on, got 2 NOS pistons yesterday as 1 of the originals has a sodding great hole in it from the broken valve stem, big and small ends are both ok and have good tolerances so was lucky not to explode the entire engine all over the floor when it failed, thanks for the offer of a note but already told her I've bought the bits so to late but appreciated all the same, just waiting now for the head and pistons to arrive and can get the thing back together quite good fun really as I was getting a bit bored with scraping the rust off of the FJ.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online