preparing for euro tour

lallasro
This post is 3824 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, maybe is a bit to soon but I prefer to be prepared. I don`t like to rush my preparing in last days, so..

In july-august will be, I will try cover most of the european countries but most time i will spend in Romania.

I need to know any strange things about european countries (like stickers and breathalyzer in france), but not just this. must see points in europe, etc.

also what I need to take with me (papers, tools for bike, etc). I`m good enough to prepare myself for traveling-camping (half of my life I was in mountains... BUT, I will also listen to you if you have something to share with me about this... anyway I always forget something home so, i`m sure I will not be 100% prepared for camping :)).

thanks in advance!

I hope this is the right section :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Tooth brush 1 extra pair of undies and socks, and your good to go.

Having a extra bag of parts is not worth it,a extra brake light and head light bulb is good to have on hand tire plug kit and a co2 to refill the tire also good to have.Most everything else you can get by without till you can find some place to buy it.

Most important thing to do is go over your bike and check everything wheel bearings brakes ect.. dont leave with worn parts and you should be ok.If your brakes are worn more than 2/3rds then replace them now,if your battery is old replace it now,check your charging system now. Best way to ruin a big trip is to leave on a POS that hasent been maintained and ready for the trip.

As far as leagle stuff from country to country alway best to check with the countrys travel agents ,or even one near you they dont charge for information,,,laws change and even if you have been there before things might have changed since your last visit.

• Like 1

Toilet paper, you really don't want to forget that as it not only makes a mess but no one will take your money if your down wind of them plus eating with your fingers adds a whole other element to the taste of things. :biglaugha:

In july-august will be, I will try cover most of the european countries but most time i will spend in Romania.

I need to know any strange things about european countries

Effing Ell Lallasro! I thought we should be asking you these type of questions. Or have you been in England that long that you're becoming a native?

lol mike, you must understand there is not UK and others. every country have lot of strange things. just because you drive on left side and others on right side don`t mean they all have the same rules. in Germany is no national speed limit, in Romania in a not marked crossroad, the vehicle coming from your right side have priority, etc.

@slice, I can use the fuel receipt :)))

... And be careful boarding the ferry with the amount you've lowered it... Last thing you want is to ground out on the ramp, ha!

Seriously though, sounds like a right adventure, enjoy! Afraid I can't offer any advice on the other countries - but maybe try checking out the adventure bike rider forum? They might have write ups on the countries you'll trek through.

• Like 1

Most countries across Europe are largely similar in terms of rules and regs - it's seems culturally they differ:

Netherlands and Switzerland are a lot more obsessed with speed, the Germans hate motorcycle filtering and downtown Brussels and some qaurters of Paris still use priorite-a-droite. In Austria, Slovenia and Switzerland you need a vignette. The Swiss vignette is expensive and can only be bought for a whole year, so stay on regional roads to avoid the cost. My experience of European touring and I haven't got as far east as Romania (yet, fingers crossed) is that motorcyclists and Brits are very welcome (apparently Belgarde is a city to be treated carefully due to the Nato bombing in 99). It is amazing what the information boards tell you at each border about national laws, also use the foreign offices guidance, but don't be put off by it - it tends to sound pessimitic. Do not drink and drive [i doubt most would anyway] - if you have had a skinful leave riding the next morning. France you need those little breathalysers, buy online as the ferry will be expensive. Carry a hiviz for emergencies.

Get Europe recovery with repatriation, get travel insurance that specifically includes motorcycling above 125ccs. As said above service the bike and make sure electrics are in good nick. Buy either slime emergency or a bung repair kit (i carry both). Get a reasonable first aid kit and an emergency blanket (poundshop). Write down the numbers of your insurer, travel insurer, recovery and home contact (if you have one), translate with bing and leave it obviously in your wallet.

Let your bank know you are going, so they do not deactivate your debit card. I also carry a credit card for medical expenses, emergencies etc.

It's hard to say what to do in term of routes and sights, European motorcycle is wonderful - once you've done it, the UK seems pretty dull. Do a more southern route out and a more northern route back maybe? Every city and town can have a wow factor, the travel websites are goldmines for snippets. I also scour remainders bookshops/ebay for cheap travel books. Lots of cities now do cheap or free tours - e.g. you can see the main sights of Berlin on a free walking tour that takes 3 hours and it is excellent - give the guide a good tip though.

I'd say you need to do Fargarasan, apparently all of the mountain passes of the Carpathians are mind blowing.

Run light, a few t-shirts etc, no too much. Get a 12v socket fitted and use a cheap sat nav or whatever (i have a £30 sat nav with igo maps that is adapted for my handlebars).

Keep hydrated and see the sights.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the answers guys, I change the brake pads (on the rear, the front ones are like new... still wondering why the front tyre is a lot more damaged than rear... over 2 mm difference.. I don`t use to much the front brake.. just when I really need, also the traction is on rear so there must be more damage.. maybe because I chose the roads with lot of curves lol) anyway, I also put new tires, new battery,install a riderscann mirror. before leaving I will have done a full service.

now, about the money... how you use to pay in europe? travel card? cash? I really don`t want to go on this trip just with cash :)) I know nothing about those travel cards but I guess is just in one currency?