Radian electrical problem

neversaydie
This post is 3840 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Had an intermittent electrical problem for a few weeks now, battery runs flat after 5 to 7 miles or so, but not always. Measured the voltage from the reg/rect to the battery and sometimes get 14volts at 5k rpm, but not always, can be as low as 11 volts

Have checked the reg/rect as best I can, appears to be working correctly by not passing current one way with + probe in +lead to all 3 whites = OL, -probe in +lead to all 3 whites = reading

-probe in -lead to all 3 whites = OL, +probe in -lead to all 3 whites = reading

Field coil resistance reads 3.1 ohms, brushes are new too, coms are both clean and in good shape

Resistance between all 3 whites (w1 to w2/w1 to w3 etc) reads 0.1 ohms when checked at plug at the alternator end of the lead, which I think is ok

Hers the problem I think. All 3 whites read down to earth ie 0.1 oms when checked at the same plug and to the earth/engine spade, also at the spark plugs. Is that where my missing charging current is going?

Is there anything else I need to check before shelling out for an alternator?

Thanks

Ray

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nah, thats how an ac generator works.

Radians amongst other yams are known for dicky reg rec units. Can you blag another one to try.

Yes, it generates the ac voltage, then rectified and regulated down to supply the battery

Confusion arises cos it appears to be centre tapped, if so, then is it correct for it to show continuity between the 3 whites and earth? Is it centre tapped to earth?

If it is, then it points to reg/rect failure

I just need to be clear as I'm on my 3rd reg/rect in the last 12 months

have you checked battery?

plates might have gone down thus only carrying so many amps.

Is the charging system a field coil or permanent magnet system?

Going out on alimb Drewps but if its got brushes the feild type LOL,

Were the vr's new or used? Used I could see ,,new no.

3 new vr's in a year you have grounding issues,and as drewps mentioned you might have a plate shifiting in the battery.Clean all grounds install a new battery along with the vr. A weak battery and /or grounds will trick the vr into thinking the demand is high and try to flow too much juice all the time burning out the diodes

Klume posted a thread about using a cheaper vr from a 3wheeler about a year ago for his vig 125,I'm not into hacking up my bike but might be worth a look if your's is high milage and not worth much.

Yep, field coil type

The last 2 reg/rects have been new

I'll pop the spare batt on an see if anthing changes

Gonna have a look see if I can utilise the reg/rect off the virago to pin the fault down tighter

What about the centre tapping? Should the altenator read to earth?

Yep, field coil type

The last 2 reg/rects have been new

I'll pop the spare batt on an see if anthing changes

Gonna have a look see if I can utilise the reg/rect off the virago to pin the fault down tighter

What about the centre tapping? Should the altenator read to earth?

Yep, it will read to earth but with a resistance value that should be stated somewhere. Dead short would not be good.

Pretty much exhausted all other possibles, back at the generator. The space between the OD of the gen and the id of its location was solid with 28 years worth of kak, couldn't pull the darned thing out. In trying to do so, some of the copper windings just fell apart. Eventaully managed to prise it out after soaking in plusgas and if it wasn't shagged before, it is now

P3010434.jpg

its an obsolete part, couple of used ones for sale in the states. I've used the Partsfinder UK to try to locate one here, waiting replies now. I'd go for a new from Electrex but the one advertised as for the yx600 doesn't look anything like the one I've just dragged out the bike

there were two types, one field coil and the other permanent magnet.

same as xj600 (pre 1990) and FZ600, that should widen your search.

there were two types, one field coil and the other permanent magnet.

same as xj600 (pre 1990) and FZ600, that should widen your search.

I've explored them two options to death, dont look owt like mine

I've looked up xj550/xs400/fj600/xj650/xj750/fz600/xj600, yet to find a match

Odd. Doent look like the fz ones ive been viewing, but that looks like the one. I've turned up one from an 81 xj seca that looks similar too but overpriced

Just gotta keep looking

Any chance youve got the od/id/depth of your coil?

Its back in the bike now, I won't have time till next weekend.

you sure your not getting confused with the FZR bikes?

an alternative would be to get it rewound by BB bikes?

http://www.bbbikeshop.co.uk/acatalog/info_8099.html

BB's say Stator size 112/84/24

Thats a useful site and reasonable too. Ta Drewpy.

• Like 1

Stator seems like it will fit NSD

Glad the site was useful PreLoad

Yep, looking positive at the mo

Question though, if anyone Knows the answer, the gap between the housing wall for the generator and the od of the genrator was built up with crap, now the crap is gone, what holds the gen in place?is it loose to float around or does the field/rotor position it centerally?

Clicked on that link drewps,,, came up Error. :eusa_shifty:

only works for the English John ;)

Yep, looking positive at the mo

Question though, if anyone Knows the answer, the gap between the housing wall for the generator and the od of the genrator was built up with crap, now the crap is gone, what holds the gen in place?is it loose to float around or does the field/rotor position it centerally?

the long screws fit through the cutouts and keep the stator from moving around

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online