Best way to get a bike back on the road

shaun_1990
This post is 3859 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everybody, I have been gifted an xj900f to go along side my xj6n by my other half's dad however there is a slight snag!

Now here is the awkward part for me, he has not ridden the bike for the best part of 9 years which does not phase me but he has no recollection of where the v5 is & if he ever declared it worn due to a health issue, the bike is in good condition and to me it would be nice to get it back to full health & I can learn a trick or two along the way.

Does anybody know how I can get a log book without landing him in it for it not being sorn or without a massive cost?

Thanks for any advice as I don't know where to start.

Shaun

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You need to download a DVLA V62 FORM, fill it in and send it off along with a cheque for £25, they will then write to the current registered owner (your other halfs dad) and tell him that somebody (you) has applied for to change the registered keeper, if they dont hear back from him in two weeks they will re-issue a V5 certificate in your name, although be aware if he doesnt reply to them and tell them that he is selling/giving the bike to you they may issue him with a £70 fine!

As for the bike, the XJ series are relatively bulletproof and you will find plenty of knowledge in the workshop section :)

Thanks for the reply foamy, There is also an issue with what you have just said, The bike is registered to his old address not his current one, the bike has also not been taxed or sorn for the last 5--8 years, don't want to land him with a fine for that or for not declaring the bike registered somewhere else.

Shaun

Well with that being the case he could write directly to the DVLA explaining that the bike is registered at his old address, as for not being taxed/sorn for the past 6 years im not sure how to go about that.

When i bought my XJ turbo it had not been taxed for 12 years, got a warning when i sorned it online that the DVLA might need to contact me, but considering the bike was made in 1983 and i was born in 1992 they must have been able to work that one out.

I have told him that writing to the dvla would be the best choice ad he has said doesn't want to just incase anything comes back.. Takes me back to the drawing board now as I don't want to push anything, going to send an e-mail or see if I can get any answers over the phone.

So just got some advice of the dvla they have said as you did a v62 & a v890 to declare a sorn from when I take ownership of the bike, with regards to any fines they cannot do anything to me as in my ownership I would not have fines's however the previous owner (other half's dad) he may get notice of something however he does not live at the address where it is registered.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online