Idling too high?

fawzi963
This post is 3870 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

When my DT175 idles when warm it does so at about 2300 - 2500 r/min.
I thought that was quite high so I checked the service manual and it mentioned adjusting the throttle stop screw to achieve a better engine operation.

My questions are:
A) Does my bike rev higher than usual or shall I go with what the manual says?

B ) How does the throttle stop screw work?

C) Doesn't it cause the engine to run lean by any chance?

D) Does it only affect the smoothness of the idling or the also the rev range?

Manual:

9y8u8a6u.jpg

9eteseba.jpg

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Fawzi. Ok the throttle stop screw is just that, it stops the throttle from completely closing thus shutting down the engine, you should be able to turn the screw about half a turn and gently adjust the slow running rev range. it will not run the engine lean or rich as it only adjusts the speed of the engine just stick to the manual specs and you should be fine, you usually have to wait for the engine to reach normal operating temp before doing this as it will run slower when cold/cool, just warm it up and do small adjustments DON'T wind the screw around till it falls out or reaches the end of the thread small is best when adjusting the slow running, you'll find it easy once you get the hang of it. Good luck.

Fawzi. Ok the throttle stop screw is just that, it stops the throttle from completely closing thus shutting down the engine, you should be able to turn the screw about half a turn and gently adjust the slow running rev range. it will not run the engine lean or rich as it only adjusts the speed of the engine just stick to the manual specs and you should be fine, you usually have to wait for the engine to reach normal operating temp before doing this as it will run slower when cold/cool, just warm it up and do small adjustments DON'T wind the screw around till it falls out or reaches the end of the thread small is best when adjusting the slow running, you'll find it easy once you get the hang of it. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice Slice, I need to decrease the revs so I shall turn the screw counterclockwise, correct?

Yep, do it slow though on an engine at normal operating temp. Don't blip the throttle either, do a quarter turn. Ride round the block then let it settle. Then if need be repeat.

If you change it a lot all at once you may find after riding it its wrong.

Yep, do it slow though on an engine at normal operating temp. Don't blip the throttle either, do a quarter turn. Ride round the block then let it settle. Then if need be repeat.

If you change it a lot all at once you may find after riding it its wrong.

I'll try it out when I'm free, thanks Cynic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online