DT cold start difficulties

fawzi963
This post is 3374 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

When I start my 1980 DT175MX (F) every now and then, it really takes a while to get it starting and idling normally. So I kickstart it after pulling out the chock, and kick it like no tomorrow and still feels reluctant to start. After a dozen kicks or so, it finally starts and idles for a few seconds then dies. This happens about twice, and by the time all this has happened the engine is pretty warm and can start with choke but then I'm able to push the choke back in and give it a few throttle blips to keep it running, after then it idles fine and quite smoothly. This has been happening since I got it. But it pays off since when its warm, its a wild torque beast :yeah:

So any help or advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the engine is pretty warm and can start with choke" :eusa_snooty:

Thats gotta be wrong fawzi" .. your choke system is blocked, go to post " ybr not starting" it shows how to clean it out,, :yeah:

the engine is pretty warm and can start with choke" :eusa_snooty:

Thats gotta be wrong fawzi" .. your choke system is blocked, go to post " ybr not starting" it shows how to clean it out,, :yeah:

Blackhat250, your reply with a red font pretty worried me, am I making a mistake when starting it?

When I start my 1980 DT175MX (G) every now and then, it really takes a while to get it starting and idling normally. So I kickstart it after pulling out the chock, and kick it like no tomorrow and still feels reluctant to start. After a dozen kicks or so, it finally starts and idles for a few seconds then dies. This happens about twice, and by the time all this has happened the engine is pretty warm and can start with choke but then I'm able to push the choke back in and give it a few throttle blips to keep it running, after then it idles fine and quite smoothly. This has been happening since I got it. But it pays off since when its warm, its a wild torque beast :yeah:

So any help or advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

when starting from cold.....

switch on fuel

pull out the choke knob

kickstart with little or no throttle (choke wont work properly when throttle is opened)

when it fires up, use gentle throttle control to keep it going

choke off after about 1 minute

when starting from cold.....

switch on fuel

pull out the choke knob

kickstart with little or no throttle (choke wont work properly when throttle is opened)

when it fires up, use gentle throttle control to keep it going

choke off after about 1 minute

The problem is that when it starts when choke pulled, I can't even get close to the throttle or else it will die. Even if a little touch.

New spark plug might also help.

After standing awhile I find priming it with couple of kicks (fuel on, choke out and ignition off) also helps.

• 1 year later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online