carb help

scott101smith
This post is 6767 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey guys i wonder if any of you guys can help me out, i cant seem to get my bike to idle, its a 98 dtr,its got a standard carb as far as i know, i just cant get it to idle at all, iv got the idle screw adjusted fully in but this dosnt seem to affect any thing at all the air screw is set at 1 and 1/2 turns out and the needle jet on the middle clip...once started it runs and drives fine but cuts out if i let go the throttle... could the coil affect this at all? the manual says the spark should be a big fat blue spark but mine is more a wee thin spark?!?! any help would be great cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

to any one willing to answer I have a silvarado it has a knock comming from the lower end. I had a harley mech. tell me it had a collapsed lifter. I dont want to take it to the dealer they just screw things up even worse. any body out there know of a great yamaha mech?

Sounds like your carb is blocked on your pilot jet.

Nothing too serious but you'll need to strip down and really clean it throughly then set it up to the noraml settings.

Nujent......I think that Harley mechanic might be on the right track with the collapsed lifter diagnosis ;)

Especially when considering that your Road Star has push-rod valve actuation & the cam is down near the bottom end where the noise seems to be coming from. I had a DOHC XS400 that did this once & believe it or not, I just changed the oil to a 20/50 weight & it cured itself! :unsure: .....lucky, I guess ;)

• 1 month later...

your jets could be blocked,is it possible that you have an air leak if you had the carb off or from the inlet manifold if you had that off to get at the reeds check the clip on carb side of inlet manifold and bolts on crankcase side and even the top on the carb good luck.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online