1980 electrical question

fawzi963
This post is 3885 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As some of you guys know, I have got a '79/80 Yamaha DT175MX. I read somewhere here on YOC on a DT question that when neutral is enabled both the neutral and oil should light up, but I'm not sure if that also applies to the 70's and 80's ones? I'm asking cause my oil light does not light up when in neutral and neither when the oil seems look in the oil reservoir.

and oh btw, my DT has difficulties sometimes when trying to engage either neutral or first gear, what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance

p.s sorry for the vague title :eusa_doh:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yes the oil light should be on in neutral, it's a bulb check feature. Check your bulb if yours doesnt work.

First gear should always be an easy change, sometimes neutral is a little more difficult. I'd check the clutch adjustment for this

Thanks for your reply. Does looking at the clutch adjustment seem hard or do I need to take it to the shop?

Clutch drag is where the plates are not open enough when you try to change gear, so the term drag, try turning the adjuster a quarter turn and see if that cures it, keep going till you get a nice clean change but don't have clutch slip.

CLUTCH SLIP a whole other section so don't worry about it till you get it and then we can tell you how to cure it if needs be ok?

Clutch drag is where the plates are not open enough when you try to change gear, so the term drag, try turning the adjuster a quarter turn and see if that cures it, keep going till you get a nice clean change but don't have clutch slip.

CLUTCH SLIP a whole other section so don't worry about it till you get it and then we can tell you how to cure it if needs be ok?

Thanks for your help Slice, unfortunately I don't have the tools to perform the turn at the moment so it will take me a while until I find my neighbor that has way more tools than me.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online