FZ250 electrical problems

fz250
This post is 3903 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

I'm in Japan riding a little FZ250 manufactured in 1988. It's very similar to the FZR250 race replica of that era.

It's been a good reliable bike most of the time but I've left it sitting for a few months now unused.

I've been running the engine about once a month but with winter I've been a bit tardy in my maintenance.

Now the bike battery is flat, so I was cranking the engine using cables connected to a car battery as the bike battery was flat.

The engine started cranking as usual, but it didn't fire. I tried again but suddenly lost all electrics (lights out & now power to starter). I checked the fuse but it appears to be OK. There's a little pin like button near the battery that's inside a clear plastic case that sometimes releases if there's a spike but that's still depressed. I'm at a loss of what to check next. Anyone got any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Car battery"s have big Amp ratings,, get the correct battery charged . and check your earth wires,,

Your in JAPAN !! a few miles from the YAMAHA factory and you want to know how to fix your bike??? Ok check you have a spark first then check you have fuel, if either of those things is missing then there's your problem fixed but it could be about a million different things from the coil to the voltage reg/rectifier duff plugs and with about half a mile of wiring to go over as well that should keep you busy for a while. It's not that we know how to fix your bike and won't tell you it's that it could be one tiny thing and you could be looking for it forever, try your local Yammie dealer he might know immediately what the problem is. Wish you luck finding your fault but need more detailed info on what is working and what's not before any sort of diagnosis would even be possible. I know that's not what you want to hear but it really could be anything.

Although you say the fuse looks ok have you checked it with a meter or tried another fuse? As blackhat250 has said car batterys have a bigger amp rating then a bike's and you could do some expensive damage jumping it from a car battery.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online