tail light keeps blowing

Taffman92
This post is 3819 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI guys, after a snapped exhaust and a broken ankle I have finally managed to get back on my DTR after about 3 months, so I noticed I only had full beam on the headlight and my tail light had blown so I got a couple of each ,fit one and keep a spare in the shed, anyway all was well when I fitted them but when I got home I noticed the back light had blown again so fitted a new one again it worked but as it was standing there I revved the bike and puff the bloody thing went again , so it seems to be when I revv the bike I blow the back lights, any idea what is causing this? and how to fix this. rather annoying this as its dark when I go to work and dark when I come home and its not a good Idea to ride with no lights :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

+1 for reg/rec unit.

• Like 1

As Airhead has said, make sure the battery is in good condition with enough distilled water up to the Full mark on the side of the battery. Do the meter lights come on when you turn the ignition on without running the engine? If not make sure the main fuse hasn't blown.

Tony

• Like 1

Not that it will resolve the blowing of the bulbs, but this may be of some benefit to you

a cheap effective means of monitoring the situation.............

Plus when i had the same problem I also fitted a bicycle LED at the back as a "get me home solution" in case the bulb did blow again.

I've actually used it for one night in 2013. Got me home 'legally' showing a red light at the back until i could put a new bulb in at home.

• Like 2

cheers for the response guys :D I got a strong feeling it might be the reg/rec unit and I think I can get one for around £30 from my local bike dealer , and I love the Idea you had for the bulb monitor NE0 well cool :D and I will be keeping a bicycle LED in my bag from now on , I'm going to have a quick look over the electrics this morning so I'll keep you posted on what I find

Check the ground off the tail light,and hook a multy meter up to check the voltage at the tail light before buying a a new reg/rec.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online