Mini Project XS 400 DOHC

Tommy xs
This post is 3872 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK so its not a real Project, just getting my bike back in shape for 2014 well hopefully anyway. I bought my myself a NOS original Yamaha exhaust for xmas and just ordered some new rubber from ebay should arrive monday while the wife is in work (fingers crossed) once the're on the bike she'll never know, got a lot of cleaning to do and general maintenance maybe a new chain & sprockets will have to see how much money comes in cos January is normally quiet work wise, will try & get some pics up tomorrow.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

good score on the exhausts Tommy and those Avons are sweet as i have them on the fz and they perform well.

yeah probably spent more than the bike is worth on just those two items but as you know I've owned it from new so, its not like I'm ever going to sell it.

do you know anyway of prolonging the lifespan of the exhaust as the original's only lasted about 18 month's, these do look better quality though

I know to drill a small hole on each at the lowest point to let water out but was wondering if there was anything I could pour in before fitting without it failing an mot.

on mine , I poured in smooth hammerite and turned then around to coat the inside surface. Not too much though or it'll clog up

Nice tip, cheers Drew never thought of using a paint I was thinking along the line of oil, but guess you can't really get away with that anymore might look at engine paint cos' of high temp also if I can get it out of an aerosol can it will be ready thinned so more likely to get a better coat inside what do you think?

Nice tip, cheers Drew never thought of using a paint I was thinking along the line of oil, but guess you can't really get away with that anymore might look at engine paint cos' of high temp also if I can get it out of an aerosol can it will be ready thinned so more likely to get a better coat inside what do you think?

that would work too, leave them hanging to dry out

Been out in the garage and give it a good clean. Not started any work on it yet, very limited space in there at the moment because of all of my work gear and garage needs a good tidy no room to take any pics yet either, will be back out there later for a good sort out.

You could have the front pipes ceramic or jet coated on the inside suposedly it add's hp too. And then they wont rust from the inside out.

Look up stock car racing or drag racing thoes guys use it alot.Here I did it for you 1 searchhttp://www.jet-hot.com/

I wont even ask what a set of stock pipe cost you got to be close to 1/2 of what you paid for the bike new. I would be tempted to put them away and put a cheap set of aftermarket pipes on for daily riding and keep them as your sunday besties 15 yrs from now when she 50 yrs old .I cant immagein there are a lot of NOS pipes left to be had.

Good on yeh,,tommo" read on the Zed owners , they run diesel thru them new repro"s , smokes till burnt off. i dont know what good that does,, as am a 2 stroke guy,,,,,we get a good coating inside, :rolleyes: ,,

Av just ground valves in on my Zed, so am learning to be a 4 banger Owner,, :icon_wink:

• Like 1

You could have the front pipes ceramic or jet coated on the inside suposedly it add's hp too. And then they wont rust from the inside out.

Look up stock car racing or drag racing thoes guys use it alot.Here I did it for you 1 searchhttp://www.jet-hot.com/

I wont even ask what a set of stock pipe cost you got to be close to 1/2 of what you paid for the bike new. I would be tempted to put them away and put a cheap set of aftermarket pipes on for daily riding and keep them as your sunday besties 15 yrs from now when she 50 yrs old .I cant immagein there are a lot of NOS pipes left to be had.

there is a some good points there DT I've been looking for nos exhaust for years and they did set me back a bit

but I have to put them on just to hear that sound again its the one thing that not been right since I put her back on the road

my bike is like a time machine to me, takes me back 32 years but the sound is not the same and as I said i'm never going to sell her

so I'll get what I can out of her now while i'm still young enough to enjoy her to the full.

• Like 2

Well check the site out might be worth it just ot keep em in one piece for years to come then

there's a ceramic coater in Warrington I seem to remember (changed pc since then)

best to google

Good on yeh,,tommo" read on the Zed owners , they run diesel thru them new repro"s , smokes till burnt off. i dont know what good that does,, as am a 2 stroke guy,,,,,we get a good coating inside, :rolleyes: ,,

Av just ground valves in on my Zed, so am learning to be a 4 banger Owner,, :icon_wink:

yes used to do this back in the 80s but we didn't have to worry about emissions then and my mot is due in march, suppose I could put the 2 into 1 back on for that and swop back again after

there's a ceramic coater in Warrington I seem to remember (changed pc since then)

best to google

cheers Drew i'll look into that, thing is each exhaust is in one piece so what ever I do its going to be hard to get them coated properly inside, could go with the paint then the oil maybe ?

cheers Drew i'll look into that, thing is each exhaust is in one piece so what ever I do its going to be hard to get them coated properly inside, could go with the paint then the oil maybe ?

sounds like a "cheaper option" plan.

I wouldn't use the hammerite in the downtubes, but certainly the exhausts and cross over

yeah that what I thought Drew, think I'll just go with engine paint and maybe the diesel! is that oil or fuel John couldn't find it on the zed owners site ?

I don't think that will work very well tommy the desel will just strip the paint off and eng paint wont take the heat header paint might some good stuff like pj1 or vht.

But I had a second though coat them with 2t oil it last in 2t's and should burn off from the hottes part quickly stop smoking and leave a coating of carbon to save the rest from rotting.

• Like 1

Was thinking along same lines about paint & diesel once I'd thought about it, don't think it'll work, now 2t oil that might be the answer

just maybe have to swap exhaust for MOT test still wondering about what john said about diesel and which is best