2005 XT125R starter motor newbie

oobliksem
This post is 3927 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi newbie post

Purchased a xt125r in Nov. First mototrbike ever after just having passed my CBT.

The bike only has a kick start at the moment as starter was not working.

I've just replaced the starter mototr and tried to replace the solenoid but ordered the wrong one (one with the 2 bolts) as mine is the older solenoid black box type with 4 pins.

JUst a query do I need to have a kill switch on the bars and stand switch for the starter to work?, have a haynes manual and it seems as if all of these are connected in some way.

wires look OK I found the wire to the clutch was not attached and had to reconoect the starter mototr cable, not sure if thats all I'll need to get the starter working.?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So do you have the switches?

You bike may have market differences to the haynes book.

From what you have said it sounds to me like someone trying to see what was affecting the starter before replacement.

If present on your bike you may well need a combination of stand, clutch, in neutral and so on for it to work.

Get yourself into the new members area and say hi too. Otherwise I may be the only reply.

So do you have the switches?

You bike may have market differences to the haynes book.

From what you have said it sounds to me like someone trying to see what was affecting the starter before replacement.

If present on your bike you may well need a combination of stand, clutch, in neutral and so on for it to work.

Get yourself into the new members area and say hi too. Otherwise I may be the only reply.

HI Cynic, Cheers for response.

My bike does seem to have differences from the manual, as there is no kill switch, just a throttle housing with a starter button underneath, the starter solenoid is also different is also different to the one pictured in the manual.

Tried to wire up the bike to the solenoid I bought but no joy, will wait and see if I get any joy with the other solenoid.

Then I need to see why the neutral light isnt coming on, replace the battery and spark plug, replace rear brake resovoir and see what else needsdone after that.

sorry i haven't a bloody clue about the starter motor on these things.....and as mine has been sold i can't go and check.

HOWEVER i'm pretty damn sure that mine didn't have a kill switch on the handle bars!

Also mine would start in gear with the clutch in and would keep running when put on the side stand.......so no NASA type start up routine.

very interesting :eusa_think:

sorry i haven't a bloody clue about the starter motor on these things.....and as mine has been sold i can't go and check.

HOWEVER i'm pretty damn sure that mine didn't have a kill switch on the handle bars!

Also mine would start in gear with the clutch in and would keep running when put on the side stand.......so no NASA type start up routine.

very interesting :eusa_think:

I dont think the bike has a kill switch to begin with as it looks like the original throttle, also theres no place to attach a side stand switch either. think the first models may not have had the safety features, bike was registered in march 2006.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online