Fuel injection/non carb engines

Grouch
This post is 3924 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

FI vs Carb

Pros

1 always runing at the same fuel mix sea level or in the highest mountan 0 performance change

2 Plug and play tuning no removing to change little to no guess work.

3 self adjusting for low grade fuel

4 3d maping for fuel delivery ( also applies to late model carbs with a tps)

5 lower emmisions

6 longer spark plug life

7 less wear on starter as bike fires up much easier and faster rarely ever stalls

8 knock sensor stops,retards igniton so less wear on internal parts

9 injectors last for decades with no maitence

10 2t and 4t never melt down a piston again from running lean

11 computer tell you what part has malfunctioned.

Cons

1 Must have battery power to start

2 must have fuel pressure to work

3 fuel pumps dont like to be run dry ever

4 if stored fuel pump must be immersed in fuel

5 If broken down at road side forget about fixing it.

6 parts to fix =expensive and very vehicle specific

7 cam and crank sensors pron to failure,tps tend to get flat spots in the unit where most used

8 CAN and BUSS lines sensitive to corrosion,they will send faulty signals to the CPU.

Dont worry about a kick starter you would never need it,if it wont start on the starter then it wont start!

Starters dont just up and stop working,,,, normaly they slowy die and you dont need to replace the whole starter a new brush kit and a cleaning of the armature segments normaly gets them working just fine.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My Bandit 1250 hire bike has FI and seems to devour fuel - Filling the bastard up on a weekly basis, despite riding like a snail!!

I want my FJ baaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!

My Bandit 1250 hire bike has FI and seems to devour fuel - Filling the bastard up on a weekly basis, despite riding like a snail!!

I want my FJ baaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!

There something wrong with it should be doing 50+

O2 sensor is bad no doubt,send that 1 back and get another no wonder you hate it its broken.

no, you don`t need to spend 300 pounds, because you can push your bike to start it. I do this (just curiosity) with my 280 kg bike, so i`m sure you can do this with your 150 kg bike :) anyway, maybe just you to have this luck to get a starter motor broken :))

If i can push start a fireblade, then a WR will be piss easy!

Just dont leave your heated grips on! (a la Squires 2013...), being FI it is computer controlled and will need 12v at the battery to start even if you are bump starting it

Tommy

Is that your xs400. No kickstart? I had an xs250 back in 1981 and I tell you, if that pig never had a kickstart I would have set it on fire on many an occasion. I had always thought the 400 had a k/s as well. Live and learn tommy, live and learn

Yes mine is the DOHC totally different bike from the SOHC

never give me any problems except when the battery died, then I used the Drewpy start, which is have Drewpy push you up & down a garage forecourt till you remember to flick the killswitch back on hahaha :crazy:

HAHAHa I think everyone has made that mistake at least 1 time Tommy.

After a drunken weekend of camping some buddies decided it would be funny to switch 2 spark boots on my bike so number 3 was on 4 and 4 on 3,I sorted it out quickly,but they didnt quite make it home that weekend and had to get a truck to get home.

A cigaret filter soaked in water stuffed under the boot will work untill it dries out MUHAHAHA then no spark to the plug,best part it took them days to figure out what i did they kept checking for spark on the other 2 cylinders and of coures there was. Who thinks to look for a cig butt jamed inside the boot :hah: don't mess with the mechanic

A 30 year old bike without a kick start. DAMN! I thought it was the last 5 years they had started getting rid of them. When your bike was new it must of been top end and cutting edge.

in some ways it was Grouch, it was one of the first yamaha road bike's to have monoshock suspension the motor is basically half of an xj motor

with YICS, in other ways it was old school as it was the last of the aircooled twins more's the pity! came out around the same time as the RD350 LC which was always the preferred choice of the boy racers of the day (KEV) I chose it over the rd because I always liked four strokes and the mpg was much better.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online