oil in the air filter on my yamaha sr125

Bisto06
This post is 3924 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

might be worn piston rings causing 'blowby' of compressed gasses into the engine casings, try placing a tube onto the breather and see if you can detect any draught coming from the tube, maybe also mix a 2mm deep soapy solution in a jar and see if the tube blows bubbles there?

The tube will have to be a very good fit on the breather for any of this to work

I'm kinda hoping others will chip in here as all of this is just a guess by me

If its fresh its most likely to be down to something done recently. I accidentally overfilled mine with oil and had some blowing back. I'm no mechanic - see some of my previous posts - but there are a few of us SR owners on here. Hopefully one of them has had the same issues? If it is the rings that have gone I would imagine you have blue exhaust smoke.

I had a hell of a job finding the right oil when I changed mine not so long back - make sure you get the right one! You can't just use ordinary 4t oil with a wet clutch. Apologies if it sounds like I'm teaching you to suck eggs but a lot of local garages to me don't sell the right type. Do you know when the oil filter was changed?

Clean out the oil from the box reset the oil level to below max,a over full motor will force out oil.Clean out the vent tube and reinstall.

Then drive it for a week and check to see if the oil is back in the box,if not all is well ....if it is back then have a compression test and a leak down test done to determin the condition of the rings and valve seating

If the bike has been droped this may not have been cleand out after and nothing to worry about.

On a 94 plate sr I would be more worried if there was no oil in the airbox.

At that age there will be some pressure venting. Its how it works, the vapour traps will be gunky now and not as efficient at removing the heavier mist.

As long as were only talking about a couple of capfulls, I would call it normal. Certainly was on my old 600.

Should I be worried then? How's your arm now?

Good as its going to get, just getting old I think. The, 'dont be a wuss' moments crashing off bikes in the fields as a bulletproof teen coming back to bite lol.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online