DATATAG???

slice
This post is 3919 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All, If some one could help me out I would be grateful, just taking the new bike apart, front fairing and mounts, and found a black box that has DATATAG written on it about 4 inches long 2 inches wide and an inch thick with a grill on the front plus a long antenna attached to the inner frame with zip ties. Does anyone know what this thing is and can I chop it off or should I try to use it? I think it is some sort of security system but the bike already has an alarm fitted which again I am going to get rid of, I will fit my own alarm to it and was just trying to figure out what was best to do. I have looked on the net for the name datatag and found several items but none are the same as the one I have fitted, any help or info would be great, Thanks all.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its a tracking device and should be registered with DATA TAG used car lots install them so if you dont pay your monthly bill they can shut down the vehicle remotely and find it.

Easy enough to remove ,most likely they just interuped the ign feed and you will have to put it back to stock.

Yep, tracking module.

In this case, designed so YOU and the cops can find your bike in the event of theft.

Look at the wing mirrors, see if there's a number etched into them. Look also around the bike for a small 1" x 1.5" dark, holographic sticker that says DATATAG in it.

If your bike has either of these, then the parts will be marked so they can't be sold on. Certain key components will have microdot identifiers on and there will be at least one very small ID chip hidden on it somewhere.

Basically, it's all anti-theft stuff that the previous owner has had added.

Give DATATAG a ring and see about getting the details transferred over to you. Also mention it to your insurance, as it might even bring your premium down a touch!

Thank you both, that's great, I might keep it then as I would like it back if some git nicks it. Found some of those stickers to and the ID chip thingy so all's good with that, not worried about the insurance premium as it's only £50 fully comp anyway so if they bring it any lower they will owe me money, wouldn't that be nice !! Thanks again.

You actually found the ID Chip Thingy??!!

You sure?

The ID Chip Thingy is about the size of a grain of rice... It comes with a mini-syringe applicator and they usually inject it into the seat. Plod is supposd to have access to scanners that you just wave around the bike to find it's been stolen and to check the reg/frame/engine nos, etc (although I'm told most of them end up in a cupboard somewhere).

So yeah, unless the chip is teeny-tiny, it'll likely be summat else... maybe something interesting?

It's also not the microdot, which is about as big as this full-stop ---> . :lol:

Ahhh yes I see what you mean, no the thing I found was nothing like they showed on the web site. This was a sort of square block obviously nothing to do with it at all, I have contacted datatag tho and they are going to change the keeper details and re register it in my name so that's a winner by any standards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online