DT125e not charging

gingopat
This post is 3877 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I just got myself a nice little 1978 dt125e the bike is all good apart from it does not put any charge back into the battery. I have had it apart and cleaned all the magnets and connections in the generator and checked the wires it has a strange type of regulator box very similar to what old cars would have used with a dynamo, I cant seem to find any info about the charging on this bike or any one who has worked on one. So if there is someone out there who can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated,

Cheers Pat

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Pat, it's usual to do an INTRO (new members section) BEFORE you launch into a "how do I fix my bike" question, some folks will not talk to you before you have said Hi, when you think about it it's polite to say hello first when you meet new folks. Anyway welcome to the YOC. We do get A LOT of one hit wonders on here who want to know how to fix their bike and then never say thanks and never come back.

Sorry if I did not conform to the normal stuff but I thought this forum would be the same as the rgv, nsr, and Suzuki forum where we help each other with problems and have a bit of chat as well, if you can help with my problem I am ready to chat but to me it sounds like you probably don't.

Hi Pat

From what you say it sounds like you have the electric start model. From memory this did use a dynamo system similar to the RD200 model. This used four brushes for the electric start and charging side and these had to be checked regularly to make sure they had't worn down to a line scribed on the brush. The RD200 had a red charge light in the tacho or speedo that went out when you increased the revs that showed it was charging. Not sure if yours has got this? .

I have sent you a personal message.

Tony

Sorry if I did not conform to the normal stuff but I thought this forum would be the same as the rgv, nsr, and Suzuki forum where we help each other with problems and have a bit of chat as well, if you can help with my problem I am ready to chat but to me it sounds like you probably don't.

Hey Pat, perhaps a little intro wouldnt have taken much longer that this response?

• Like 1

Thanks Tony, You are right about the rd200 I have a spare dynamo off of one trouble is its a bit deeper than the one off the 125. I might see if the magnets are the same and see if I can swop some of it over. Cheers Pat

Hi Pat, I was polite and simply pointed out that it's a NORMAL thing on "THIS SITE" to say hello first, I explained why you should do an INTRO. There was no need to take an aggressive attitude to my post, if you feel that you can just jump in and ask strangers for there advice and expect an answer then I suggest that you get your dictionary out and find out what the word "MANNERS" means. Once again I have been polite and would expect others to do the same, as I said in my first post we get a lot of one hit wonders who rock up ask their question and then bugger off without a thank you or even a polite word. so if you feel that the other sites you have been on have a better ATTITUDE to you then by all means go back there I'm sure we will miss you but will get over it in time !!! Sarcasm wasn't really necessary I know but when you start out your second post with sarcy shit you can only expect to get sarcasm back don't you think?

All fixed now it charges and starts on the button. just got to get some new brushes as the old ones are a bit low, its amazing how much fun you can have on an old dt125 I might just have to get a 250 now to keep it company.

Pat

Presistonance pays off,may many learn from yours.

Thanks for sharing what you found and how to fix it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online