remagnetizing the flywheel rotor

drewpy
This post is 3965 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

just fitted the original mag on the Gilera, but he spark is very weak. I'm thinking that the mag has lost most of its magnetism (they lose it when knocked, not bridge capped or just age)

does anyone know if someone has a growler or offers this type of service in the uk?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sadly i don't mate, when im next down the pub ill chat to my mate who restores classic British bikes and see if he knows any one ;)

Sadly i don't mate, when im next down the pub ill chat to my mate who restores classic British bikes and see if he knows any one ;)

cheers appreciate it :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a growler but its used to test armatures not remagnetising (just tested a load of British dynamos for a bike shop, well they were new Chinese copies that didn't work as the insulation was made from bits of what looked like rope). Its an AC device so won't make a magnet.

Most modern (anything less the 50 yars old) magnets will still be good unless they've been in a seriously hot fire. Its old the old 1920/30/40's magentos that really suffer from loss of magnetism. I'm not even sure that you can re-magnetise modern rare earth types of magnet.

thanks for that Rex, It looks like they have use pullers/hammers to get the mag off and that destroys its magnetism.

I do have some left on there, so will keep on searching as I have made a few contacts with the Lambretta boys

Give your flywheel my sympathies: I've lost all my magnetism too.

Oh dear, we need to start a help group ;)

if you get really stuck we can look at fitting a modern generator to it :jossun:

It'll cost though Rex. I tried to fit an AM6 system but the crank is an older version with a different taper than standard.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online