FJR1300 - should I have one and what are the issues with them?

niccapotamus
This post is 3976 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Morning all

I've got a BMW r1150rt and fancy a change to something with a little more oomph and less vibes but with the same level of touring comfort esp for the pillion who will be making all final decisions.

I quite fancy the look of the FJR1300 - my bike is worth maybe 3.5K so I'd be looking at 6K max - so an older one

what is the comfort like?

is the power OK - even in wet/slippery conditions that we get a lot of the time

are there any known problems/issues??

thanks a lot

Nick

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Nick Welcome to the YOC, it's normal to do an INTRO (new members section) before you launch into a question, perhaps you might do that next?

As to your question it's one of my must have's, I have looked and ridden the bike and can tell you that it is a really comfortable beast to ride, there are a few odd things you need to be aware of especially the rear swing arm linkage can be prone to failure, the only way to cure it is to remove said swing arm and re-grease it or replace it, but you have to take the whole of the back of the bike off (lower) so that leaves you with no centre stand to support the bike so it's a garage only job unless your really good at fabricating. It's actually the rear damper lower attachments that you have to service but that means the swing arm has to come off, there are a load of people out there that can do it for you and it's not to expensive, there is a guy you might want to contact who is regarded as the "GO TO guy" for all things FJR he is in Gloucestershire Dursley area. FUDGE MOTORCYCLES (FJR CENTRE) Look him up on the net if your serious about buying one. All these big heavy tourers have one thing or another that you have to be aware of the Honda has a stability issue at speed and the Suzuki is a bit of a mare for service intervals so they are all a bit of "do you don't you" about them, wish you luck with your hunt for the perfect bike!!!

Thanks Slice!

I'll go and do a hello in a min.

isn't there an issue with luggage - I read on the "net" (so it must be true) that Yamaha don't recommend the panniers and the top box coz of a risk of overloading the subframe - and that's before jamming it full of as much crap as I can get in and then strapping the tent over the top.....etc

great link to the guy up in Dursley - not far from here as the bike flies. I'll test ride an FJR as they have a Demo bike in Fowlers and see where that takes me!

cheers

Nick

Hi Nick, I think they may be mixing up the Honda Pan with the Yam, the Pan has a terrible speed wobble with luggage apparently, not seen it my self but lots of stuff about it and the Police have started using the FJR now instead of the Honda because of it. I have not heard about the Yam having problems with the sub frame only the problem with not servicing the rear shock mount/swing arm. That's enough really as that is a bugger to get at and service, loads of guys and girls swear by the Yam for long distance work and never heard of anyone getting a numb arse with the comfy seat it has, my test ride was brilliant and I envy you yours, give it some beans when you have a go on it and hold on tight it's just like my first ride on my old Bonnie lots of power in the low range and a good top end as well. Enjoy.

Hi

I have a 57 plate one, I have not done many miles on it, its heavy but once on the move I don’t notice the weight, the linked abs brakes don’t interfere with the way I ride and have once or twice made emergency stops on wet roads resulting in nothing more than a blood pressure spike, my wife and I did a 4 hr each way ride this summer and she found it comfortable, some times in extreme ambient temps it seems like the fuel has evaporated before it has reached the cylinders making starting the bike a second stab at the starter, selecting 1st gear after start up can result in a heavy clunk as the clutch un-sticks. I rock the bike in gear with the clutch in to free it off for the first start of the day, I have noticed that it does eat tyres compared to my old 900 divi even the front tyre can wear out quickly, I also find the bike is plenty quick and could do with a 6th gear, being a heavy long bike I find that it sometimes feels like it drifts wide when cornering at speed, the panniers don’t interfere but my wife has to slide onto the passenger pillion from the riders seat as she cannot clear the boxes, I have semi stripped the lower suspension links and cleaned and repacked the grease,

I cannot compare the bike to current sports touring bikes, but so far it is better than my old diversion, mainly because it’s more refined,

Overall I like the bike I like the shaft drive but it is over kill for my needs to have it so next time I will probably try a different model,

Andy

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online