new member on the hunt for xj, advice please

shaun_1990
This post is 3988 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello everyone at the moment I have a 2008 suzuki drz400sm & im on the hunt for an xj6n however it needs to be restricted, I know I can get it restricted myself but wanted to kno what they are like with restrictors if anyone has had or knows until I do my test again in october.

is there anything I should be looking out for? the bike I have looked at earlier today is 2010 and 10k miles fsh and all keys etc

thanks for any help & information really appreciate it.

Shaun

UPDATE

Well I now have an xj6n 2010 on 10 reg :) after reading a few more newbie post's I see mine was pants.. so here's abit about me and so on :)

I'm Shaun 23 and from "sunny" Sandbach

I have been into bikes since I was about 12 messing around on 85's and pitbikes (good old days!) my first road legal bike was an aprillia RS50 and even though was a small bike still a massive amount of fun, Long story short I had a RTC with a bloke in a car which resulted in me in hospital with a ruptured spleen, muscle damage in my left arm and damaged my coccyx (Hope that is the right spelling).

I then got a dr125 shortly after however it was not for me, I then had no bike until 4 months ago after I have had numerous cars from clio's to an astra vxr and now owning an a4 (sensible!!) I decided to get my behind in gear and get my bike licence, Now seen as the dvla thought it would be a chuffing good idea to introduce the new test limits (35kw 21-24) that is what I went for as I wanted a bike for the short remainder of our summer, the 400 was to much sit up right and put alot of pressure on my coccyx and with it hurting already I wasn't a fan of it, I now have my new (to me) xj6n and I LOVE IT! have had the bike 3-4 days and already done 150 miles I do have some parts I want to upgrade I just need to source some know-how and what parts will/wont work.

my background is mainly cars to be honest I studied engineering/motor vehicle at college, worked at a motor factors for around 6 years & now I work in interior trim at a local factory.

I know this is a bit long winded but that's my intro now haha, forum looks to be a nice place with lots of helpful people around, hopefully speak to you all soon

Shaun

Here's my bike & my old bike is the yellow one in the background :)

image.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

nothing wrong at all with the SM, just want something I can travel further on (not a single cylinder) & more sporty looking :)

nothing wrong at all with the SM, just want something I can travel further on (not a single cylinder) & more sporty looking :)

Fair enough matey! i did think about doing something similar myself but after doing my test on a road bike i don't think i would be comfortable...i hate the seating position on more road orientated bikes. Much prefer the 'sit up and beg' that you get from enduros/supermotos .

hows the Suzuki with 60 or 70 mph? any idea of the top speed?

Just out of curiosity did you have to restrict the DRZ?

yeah I know what you mean, I prefer the more sporty style, not a begging kinda guy.. haha, dont get me wrong I will miss the drz and it is an amazing bike around town or short blast's but if I want to go down some fun roads which dont happen to be the closest of ride's then it sounds like it will give up half way down an a road..

it sits fine at 60/70/80 - top speed I saw on the bike was around 97 I think it was on a "private road" there incredible around town but soon as you hit an a road or even the motorway and your sat at 70 it sounds like the engine is screaming to stop and as much as I know the bike will be okay it doesn't seem healthy for the bike in any way one piston doing that much work & if on a journey me and the better half wanted to take at over 100 miles one way it wouldn't be wise..

no the drz is around 41 bhp std however can free some more power easy with an airbox mod, rejet, and a exhaust, got myself a full yoshi (sounds amazing!)

anyway on to another subject!!

I have done it! put a deposit down on a xj6n 10 reg with 10k miles.. not high miles IMO.

plan on tidying the bike up over these winter months & by tidying i just mean cleaning to within an inch of it's life.. wouldn't mind getting a tail tidy and going to research into some exhaust's and braided lines :) will get some pictures once I pick it up next Saturday

any info on exhaust would be great :)

haha hey :) dont worry a hllo is better than nothing :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online