Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3613 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just thinking out loud here...well, quietly, typing and thinking....

I should take the engine out and apart BEFORE you come, this way I can assess the damage, see what parts I need, AND get the stripped holes rethreaded with some proper inserts!

SO!

I'm going to get to it!!

Any advice for removing the engine?  I have the factory manual here so that should help....says disconnect airbox, carbs, pull the carbs out, remove exhaust, remove front sprocket and chain.... seems pretty straightforward.  Any tips or just get at it?

My advice. Make sure you have a centre stand or bike stand. Maybe you can borrow one for a bit (if you don't have one). You need to make sure your bike is stable before you start.

You might need a hand when it actually comes to pulling the motor when disconnected.

• Like 1

Ok so looking at this, there are three sets of piston rings...which part # would I need??

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/50042959f8700209bc789104/crankshaft-piston

You're going to have to pull the cylinders off and inspect what the bores look like.

If all is good i.e. no scoring, then you need to find what size the current bore is. That will determine what size of rings you buy. I suggest you hone the cylinders before installing new rings.

If the cylinders are badly scored, then a rebore will be needed. The cylinders will need to be bored to a std overbore size. The new bore size will then determine the ring kit (and possibly pistons) you buy. The m/c shop will tell you.

• Like 1

Ok, so take it apart first, then assess damage, then take the engine to a machine shop and get them to let me know what I need done to it. Now...may have to spread this repair out over a month or two to afford it if I need to get engine machine work done, so I guess we'll see once I get it out! Thanks for all the tips!

Need to pick up some stands, I saw a vendor on GTAM was selling a pair for $110 shipped down to Port Dover so I think I'll pick them up.

Yep get it out and strip the top end and figure out what rings you need and have it honed. Also consider having the valves re cut

A tip for keeping track of the bolts is to get card board and punch holes in it and put the bolts in as to where they come from.

Your motor comes out the bottom nice and easy just put a jack under and lower it out some extra hands will deffo help just to steady it on the jack.No real need for stands.

Yep get it out and strip the top end and figure out what rings you need and have it honed. Also consider having the valves re cut

A tip for keeping track of the bolts is to get card board and punch holes in it and put the bolts in as to where they come from.

Your motor comes out the bottom nice and easy just put a jack under and lower it out some extra hands will deffo help just to steady it on the jack.No real need for stands.

Ok sweet, got myself a weekend project! Really appreciate the help! :D I'll get some pictures of what everything looks like once I've got it apart.... this is scary for me because the engine is running so to take it apart makes me weary, but to know I have help makes me more confident so I can get the thing back together even better than it is now!

What a nice chap you are dt... :eusa_clap:

Everyone I've talked to on here (and other motorcycle forums) has been so helpful....just loving the community and camaraderie!! You guys ever need graphic design or web work done let me know! :D

Halfway done the removal!

Question about the oil cooler - do I remove it from the frame and leave it attached to the engine? Or do I remove it from the engine completely?

Halfway done the removal!

Question about the oil cooler - do I remove it from the frame and leave it attached to the engine? Or do I remove it from the engine completely?

I'd keep it intact as you disturb the seals otherwise

Well I'm going to have to take the engine into a machine shop to get a bolt hole fixed so I think I need to remove it... the manual is vague as to how to remove it though. I'm assuming I remove it from the bracket obviously up top, but then do I remove the two hoses at the bottom where it goes into the oil filter area?

It was the top two! Ok got everything ready for the engine to drop....took about 2 hours total. Not bad for a rookie!

Sprocket on:

11598254844_12e1a9733f_c.jpg
IMG_5693 by feliks.ca, on Flickr
Sprocket off!
11598126493_6744ae8790_c.jpg
IMG_5694 by feliks.ca, on Flickr
Now just need to disconnect the frame part and let her down, then get it up on the bench for inspection tomorrow.
11597918135_1c6b525e51_c.jpg
IMG_5696 by feliks.ca, on Flickr

i would have taken off the large nut on the adapter and kept the thing whole. But that's academic now.

remove all electrics first (including that neutral wire) and alternator/starter wires

What large nut are you talking about? I disconnected the two fittings near the oil cooler and it came apart pretty easy.

Yup wires are all disconnected now, just need to unbolt the frame and drop it down!

drewps was talking about the nut that the oil filter spins onto. Pm sent about cams

Oh, there's a nut that it spins onto? Well... you learn something new every day.... I have a feeling I'm going to learn a lot in the next few weeks! :D

haha yep the part that the oil filter cover bolt screws into looks like a big nut 17mm if you remove it then the whole thing comes off in 1 piece,lines cooler and oil filter housing not all yam 600's used a oil cooler so it a bolt on accessorie.

Ah! Cool good to know! :D

Why do I always start a project and then halfway through not have the right tool... where is my 12mm socket?!? Do I even have one?? NO. Why would I have a 12mm....the only one I need right now.... haha

Ok, next question! Why won't the engine drop out? I've removed all bolts that would be holding it in...but it just seems stuck. Tried to pull and pry hard enough without breaking anything....but it doesn't seem to move past a couple of inches. I tried sliding the back forward first and down, then the front out...front out first, then back...nothing!

Do I need to remove these bolts for some reason? I can't see why I would because they're attached to the frame that drops anyway....any advice??

11608485203_d14de0224a_c.jpg
IMG_5699 by feliks.ca, on Flickr