Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3610 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Woo got it! Trick was to leave the exhaust side cam caps on and remove the intake side first, otherwise there's no tension to be able to remove cams with the sprocket on. This worked perfectly! Thanks for the tip Flip! Maybe someone else using google one day will come across this thread and it'll help em out.

Got one out, but UFC is on right now...so on hold until between fights. :D

11615918083_caeab79639_c.jpg
IMG_5709 by feliks.ca, on Flickr
  • Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Stupid question.... valves and the top end stays together and comes off as one piece, right? As long as I don't need to remove the valves...or am I crazy.

It does come off as one piece, valves and all....sweet! Learning is fun. :D
Got the cylinder head off...now I can see the cylinders. The walls look like mirrors, no scratches or pitting at all from what I can see...however the piston heads are dirty as fuck!
I still need to take the cylinder housing off....is that what it's called? What's the correct terminology here?
Here's some progress pictures and a shot of cyl 1,2,3 & 4.
11618098545_c328dfa9a4_c.jpg
IMG_5711 by feliks.ca, on Flickr
11618458704_64c2b8afe8_c.jpg
IMG_5710 by feliks.ca, on Flickr
11618464654_93ebb5227d_c.jpg
cyl1 by feliks.ca, on Flickr
11618864976_9c103259b5_c.jpg
cyl2 by feliks.ca, on Flickr
11618863356_7de3667cf9_c.jpg
cyl3 by feliks.ca, on Flickr
This isn't a scratch it was just a piece of something the fell in there when I snapped the pic.
11618862086_b47dfd2fb8_c.jpg
cyl4 by feliks.ca, on Flickr

Nice job getting it apart. From the pics (always hard to tell exactly), it looks like the bores are in good shape. You should check the ring end-gap (follow the manual). If all is good, give the cylinders a hone. You can buy a honing stone and do that your self. Another tool for the collection. :) I'd be cleaning those pistons off. One cylinder looks like it's running slightly leaner than the others (slightly lighter brown vs black). I don't think that is the cylinder with the leak at the bottom, is it? Regardless, it doesn't look too significant.

Thanks man! Like you said getting it apart is easy.... it's getting it back together that'll be fun. Glad I have help here!

#2 is the cylinder with the leak (so in the pic of the engine its the 2nd from the right). You can see some oil blow out at the top of the pic behind the cylinder, where the bolt can't tighten down.

Cylinder housing is coming off next....

Now I know what bolt is leaking you will be happy to know that the bottm end dosent need to come appart to fix.

Sure why not it's just a deeper hole assembled, but once the block is off you'll see that the threads aren't that deep.

Thoes pistons are actualy clean from when the fuel washed them (petcock issue's), get some picts of the skirts of the pistons up when you get the block off.Some light pring and a tap with a rubber mallet,wooden block, will help if its stuck down but go easy the fins will break easy .seting all the pistons at the same height also helps.

Stuff lots of rags under/in the bottom end before you pull the block completly off the pistons this way anything the is in the cylinders dosen t get into the bottom end.But we will pull the oil pan off to clean/make sure nothing has gotten in and flush it before we put it back together.

As long as the cylinders don't have scratches or pitting then a light hone is all thats needed to set the new rings so stock bore rings will work fine.

Your parts list is going to look something like

1 top end gasket kit

2 ring set stock bore

3 2 heli coil kits

4 pj1 or vht eng paint

Just make sure NOTHING gets into the bottom end or you will be taking it apart for cleaning. The m/c shop needs to make absolutely sure of this.

Gotcha - the manual gave a few warnings about that too. :D

Sure why not it's just a deeper hole assembled, but once the block is off you'll see that the threads aren't that deep.

Thoes pistons are actualy clean from when the fuel washed them (petcock issue's), get some picts of the skirts of the pistons up when you get the block off.Some light pring and a tap with a rubber mallet,wooden block, will help if its stuck down but go easy the fins will break easy .seting all the pistons at the same height also helps.

Stuff lots of rags under/in the bottom end before you pull the block completly off the pistons this way anything the is in the cylinders dosen t get into the bottom end.But we will pull the oil pan off to clean/make sure nothing has gotten in and flush it before we put it back together.

As long as the cylinders don't have scratches or pitting then a light hone is all thats needed to set the new rings so stock bore rings will work fine.

Your parts list is going to look something like

1 top end gasket kit

2 ring set stock bore

3 2 heli coil kits

4 pj1 or vht eng paint

Not a bad parts list! Should I be buying Yamaha gaskets then? I was going to get the whole gasket kit for $170 - but I'm not going to use like half of them so that may be pointless.... if the Yamaha stuff is better and won't cost a crapload I'll go with them. What do you suggest?

DT,

Just a question, not being a d@ck, just curious - how do you know that the current pistons are for stock bore? I think you are correct, since you typically don't do a lot of re-boring on 4T's unless something catastrophic happened. Is that your thinking?

Pistons for my bike typically have something stamped on the crown, so it's fairly easy to identify. With 2T, you never know what re-bore you're on.

So far I need:

• Crankcase Cover Gasket (on the left side of the engine)
  • Valve Cover Gasket
  • Head Gasket
  • Crankcase Gasket
  • Piston Rings (OEM specs?) should measure first?

The machine shop should have all the helicoils they need to do the job, right?

As for engine paint.... should I get a brush on or spray, and if I get a spray...would we paint after or before we put it together?

And thanks for all the help! I owe everyone at least a beer now! :D

I can't get the cylinder housing off...gah! Tried every position of the cylinders too....top/bottom....middle....bottom/top..... dang it. Got one side nice and loose but the other is stuck good! I think I need to invest in a rubber mallet.