Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3743 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Picked up a couple files today and did some work on my fairings while I wait for my valve cover gasket to get here.

12162038635_af55454c48_c.jpg

12162448884_7fe7a88521_c.jpg

I also decided I'm going to disassemble and clean my carbs while everything is out of the bike, no point in having dirty carbs feeding a new clean top end!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Feel like I won the lottery! Cracked open my last parts engine (#3) and dug the shims out.... going through them...270 sweet!... another 270...260 sweet!...255...250....260...275....damnit, no 265... get to the last one, and BAM, 265! WHAT! So now I have all the shims I need to my valves, so I don't even need to take the trip back to the dealer! Sweet! :D

• Like 1

Alright, all shims in their new places, cams back in, chain tensioners in...gave the crank a few turns by hand and then got to measuring my valve clearance. Everything is within spec! WooT! Now, I just have to patiently wait for my valve cover gasket and for this snow to fuck off! :D

This has been a very informative thread,,, great detail. 1 for others to follow , and help them rebuild any 4 stroke, :thumb:

• Like 1

This has been a very informative thread,,, great detail. 1 for others to follow , and help them rebuild any 4 stroke, :thumb:

Thanks to my many, MANY questions that I can't thank you guys enough for helping me with! This was a team build for sure! :D

Next question - how long is it safe to leave the engine out without starting it after a top end rebuild? I figure it's probably easier to swap my tires and attach my new chain without the engine in, so I might as well do that while it's out, plus the longer it stays indoors the warmer it stays, considering it's -20c outside tonight...

I usually use assembly oil if I know the engine will be out of commission for say 3 months.

I would turn the engine over without sparks, to get the oil circulating first, then attempt to fire it when you are ready

Thanks for the input! I did a bunch of googling on the subject and some say an engine, properly lubed, will last for years in dry climate controlled storage, so I should be ok for a month or two! :D I did use assembly lube when putting everything together too.

Thanks! Not done yet but it's gettin there.... I'm sure I'll always have something to do to it though, little mods here and there once it's all back together.

Cleaning out the carbs last night... here's a friendly reminder to anyone using carb cleaner - MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA!!

I was doing it in the garage...but had the door closed, I was only out there for maybe 2 minutes at MOST, came inside, started walking down the stairs and my legs gave out and I just went down them...went all dizzy and shit and then threw up about 5 minutes later and felt immediately fine afterwards... Apparently I inhaled enough of the stuff that it gave my body a nice reaction to get it out... Felt fine after laying down for about 10 minutes and no lasting effects or injuries but shit that was scary!! Good thing my wife is in school to be a nurse! She came running down to see what happened and kept an eye on me to make sure I wasn't going to die. lol

Carbs are clean though.

:D

• Like 1

Well that will learn ya,if the can says ues in well ventlated area it means it.Now don't it Leroy

It does reminde me of something we disscused in school about gas,if you inhale enough fumes it will close your gag valve and next to impossible to revive you most die from syphoning using there mouth,if you need to,, either submerge the hose and then cap the end with your thumb pull it out,get a proper syphon hose/pump or blow compressed air past the end of the hose.

So fucking be carefull from now on with the chemies, you want your head stone to read "dumb ass fell down staris and broke his neck"????

Like I said it was only for 2 minutes, literally! But since it was -20 out I guess the fumes just stayed at the exact level my face was...enough inhalation and that's what happens! Only hurt my leg a little but it's fine today...didn't pass out just dizzy enough to lose my balance, which has never happened to me before..it was a strange sensation! Well, hasn't happened before when I wasn't drunk I should say.... lol

I was debating whether or not to even post that I did something so stupid on here...but, I'd rather someone read this and maybe learn from my mistake!

• Like 1

So after my mishap with the jets and carb cleaner, I used some pinesol to finish off the carb bodies. It's completely safe on the rubber and plastic, cleaned up the throttle bodies nicely, and made my basement smell like pine trees! :D

Before (they weren't too bad on the outside):

12212743444_28d6a492bf_c.jpg

After (nice and shiny!):

12212954416_171b0235d4_c.jpg

Nice shiney carbs!! ive done the same thing too regarding inhaling too much fumes (not taking about the wifes farts either) spray painting the bike when i first got it, no mask on etc and it soon got the better of me and i was blowing out gloss black snot for a few days.

• Like 1

I was debating whether or not to even post that I did something so stupid on here...but, I'd rather someone read this and maybe learn from my mistake!

:thumb: Good note, we use the likes all the time , never thinking of the effects .

Nice shiney carbs!! ive done the same thing too regarding inhaling too much fumes (not taking about the wifes farts either) spray painting the bike when i first got it, no mask on etc and it soon got the better of me and i was blowing out gloss black snot for a few days.

Haha yeah been there with the paint snot. :D I just didn't think the limited exposure to the carb cleaner would do anything, but it sure as hell did!

:thumb: Good note, we use the likes all the time , never thinking of the effects .

Yeah so make sure you don't breath it in! If you can smell it...you're breathing it!

On a good note, carbs are all done and back together with new float gaskets and float valve o-rings - dealership said you can't buy the o-rings separate from them so I just bought them from the auto parts store...the valve itself was fine so no need for new valves just for o-rings!

Also picked up a bike stand (front & back) today to make my life easier while I take the tires and rims off to get the rims powdered and the bearings swapped out for new all balls ones!

Up on stands! Got a cheque from google today for one of my videos so I figured I'd spoil myself. :D

12243660116_107ea10445_c.jpg

Time to get the engine back in now....