electrics

mcnamara1710
This post is 3895 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to bikes lol,have found 3 earths and sandpapered them and re tightened.you say run a wire,so am i right by saying connect to positive on the battery to an earth wire you mean.if so and i do this what am i looking for.sorry if i sound stupid. many thanks michael from wales

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to bikes lol,have found 3 earths and sandpapered them and re tightened.you say run a wire,so am i right by saying connect to positive on the battery to an earth wire you mean.if so and i do this what am i looking for.sorry if i sound stupid. many thanks michael from wales

I said to connect a jumper to a brown wire, NOT an earth or back wire!

If youre that much of a novice you better make the jumper fused, say 20A...or get someone to do it for you because frankly if you did actually do what you were thinking of (which isnt what I suggested) it would be a fire risk :o

Do you mean the battery dies , or the engine, :eusa_think: ? these should start without battery,

Ok thanks airhead.my battery is brand new.my bike runs fine no problem at all kicks first time,but when i use my electrics indicating main beam etc all is flashing all over the place.so my battery dies and if flat within a day.

You have a short circuit then, that's why the battery is going flat, disconnect the indicators and lights (remove fuse) and see what happens?

Put a meter on the battery when engine"s running , should be 14.5 volts . to see if you have a regulator and charging issues. [ thats if its a 12 volt system]

You say you took OFF a 12V battery but the bulbs are 6V and then you put back on a 6V battery? Not sure where you are with this, one of the guys on here will come up with a reg/rec reading to help you out. 12v system should be as stated 14.5V or there abouts, but you need to find out what it is actually putting out before you do anything else. Put a meter across the battery neg - pos terminals when it's running and see what it reads.

I do remember someone saying that to convert your bike to 12V you could use a TZR125 generator, maybe that has been done to your bike? Cos it originally was a 6V system when it was new and some folks hated the lights (or lack of) on the bike.

just checked , the RSX100 is 6 volt,,, lets get the correct battery , and go from there,, :yeah:

Hi blackhat,I've taken the 12v off now and replaced it with the new 6v i bought a week ago.yes 6v is not very good at all very dim everything on bike now.just don't understand how the bulbs didn't blow with a 12v on it if it is a 12v.spoke to the guy i bought if off.he said he has never touched anything on it and he has had it 7 months.he bought it from original owner from new in 1991

Hi blackhat,I've taken the 12v off now and replaced it with the new 6v i bought a week ago.yes 6v is not very good at all very dim everything on bike now.just don't understand how the bulbs didn't blow with a 12v on it if it is a 12v.spoke to the guy i bought if off.he said he has never touched anything on it and he has had it 7 months.he bought it from original owner from new in 1991

First thing you need to do is determin what the charging system is putting out,it may very well have been converted to 12v and if your running a 6v battery your running a risk of it blowing up form being over charged.

Get a multy meter and connect it to the battery with the bike running if it is making 12+ volts then shut the bike off immidatly and get a 12 v battery before you get hurt.

This wiring diagram will solve all your problems, study it carefully - it works on most Yamahas and is the the same with 6 or 12 volts.

30jty4j.png

:rofl:

Priceless rex :biglaugha: but you forgot to add the unobtainum cell,and I can't see where you add the bidirectional ruban