Can't kickstart my XS360, no piston movement

sactostan99
This post is 4011 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

It's been sitting for a few months after I drained the oil and I set about getting an ebay starter and just installed it.

Tried the kick starter and it didn't act normal so I removed the cover and I could see that pushing down on the crank made the clutch assembly rotate ccw a few turns but the crank stopped dead and there was no piston movement.

I remember back before draining the oil that the Kickstart had a funny feel to it when I pushed it down.(kind of an internal clicking) and didn't feel normal and it wasn't starting (I didn't go to the trouble of checking for piston movement -thought that since the old starter gave out years ago that I was wearing out the kickstart). I stopped trying the kickstart at the time and I'm not planning on pushing the starter button until I know more about what's happening inside so I don't think there's much damage so far (no metal flakes in the oil draining).

I bought this bike in 1988 and it's had a problem with the gas getting into the oil because of the left cylinder having very low compression etc.

I'd get about 4 quarts of oil/gas when draining it and the liquid was in the alternator area and it was even in the old starter.

Getting back to the kickstart - I thought about all the various metal parts that could come loose and do some jamming and my suspect is the cam chain. This bike had 26k miles on it by the prior owner (I only paid $275 for it).

Just as Johnny Carson said to Dolly Parton - he'd give a lot for just a peek - I'd like to peek and see if the chain is still around the gears without taking off the head. :pumpking:.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, Sorry to hear about your problem with the bike but you will get more information from the forum if you do an INTRO first before you start asking questions. Think of it like this, if you walk up to a bunch of strangers and launch into a "my bike won't start" question before you even say hello most folks will just ignore you, so if you would go to the section "new member" and do an intro about your self, NOT just "Hi" but who you are where your from and anything else you think might break the ice you will get more feedback that way, plus I'm afraid you have put your TECH question in the BAR and it should be in the WORKSHOP section, your not the first but some folks get antsy about where stuff should be. Don't be put off by what I've said it's nice to have new folks join but if everyone just put stuff anywhere they wanted it would be anarchy and make the forum useless . Welcome to the YOC it's always nice to meet new people. :jossun:

Gas in oil. :eusa_think: sounds like the petcock is leaking = filling carbs and running into cylinders. watch for hydrollic lock, this would jam kickstart, and bend conrods, .take out sparkplugs . and turn engine ,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online