SR125 Clutch problem

AndrewElvisFan
This post is 3920 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yes the push lever should move then stop at the marker, if it does the plates are ok...and the adjustment too.

bloody hell it sounds like a stiff/sticking cable now

disconnect it at both ends, it should be easy to move the inner

I will try disconnecting both ends just in case - just as soon as this precipitation ceases!

Don't stress about this job it's a easy one,just remove each plate 1 at a time and make note of which way they fit the steel ones that is they have a sharp edge on one side and a curved on the other sharp goes in.

some yam steel plate have a section that has a tit,not completly round and need to be set 180 apart then 90 ect,if the first steel plate is fully round then dont worry about that just make sure you get the sharp edge in.

If the steel plates have blued from slipping just scratch them with some sand paper and full clean them,

soak the new fiber plates in oil over night before installing.

Also before removing the pressure plate make note of it's position,a black pen marker on the outer and inner makes it easy to reinstall in the same positoin,or scratch a mark with a sharp knife.

Do NOT over tighten the spring bolts just snug them down,I wouldn't even suggest using a torque wrench for this as most are not good enough and we have had a rash of broken bolts.Just down to tight is perfect the spring will keep it tight.

Some blue thread locker is good to use on all the bolts.

When your going to do this post it and then if you need help I can get on and lend some advice if needed

yes the push lever should move then stop at the marker, if it does the plates are ok...and the adjustment too.

bloody hell it sounds like a stiff/sticking cable now

disconnect it at both ends, it should be easy to move the inner

Def not the cable. With the push lever not moving makes sense to adjust inside the casing to compensate for wearing clutch. Think I'll get a new plate set in case I open it up and find it shagged! Not like it will go to waste!!!

I will try disconnecting both ends just in case - just as soon as this precipitation ceases!

Confused dot com, if it's 'Def not the cable' there wont be any 'just in case' ;)

Lol! maybe I shouldn't have used the word def whilst so tired!!

I'm not going to get a chance to do anything inside the engine til Sunday cos of work so a quick ten minutes won't hurt!

I'll whip it off tomorrow lunch when I can bring it under cover and let you know how I get on!

Don't stress about this job it's a easy one,just remove each plate 1 at a time and make note of which way they fit the steel ones that is they have a sharp edge on one side and a curved on the other sharp goes in.

some yam steel plate have a section that has a tit,not completly round and need to be set 180 apart then 90 ect,if the first steel plate is fully round then dont worry about that just make sure you get the sharp edge in.

If the steel plates have blued from slipping just scratch them with some sand paper and full clean them,

soak the new fiber plates in oil over night before installing.

Also before removing the pressure plate make note of it's position,a black pen marker on the outer and inner makes it easy to reinstall in the same positoin,or scratch a mark with a sharp knife.

Do NOT over tighten the spring bolts just snug them down,I wouldn't even suggest using a torque wrench for this as most are not good enough and we have had a rash of broken bolts.Just down to tight is perfect the spring will keep it tight.

Some blue thread locker is good to use on all the bolts.

When your going to do this post it and then if you need help I can get on and lend some advice if needed

Cheers mate. Some great tips there - I was going to take pics at each step as well to be sure!

Lol! maybe I shouldn't have used the word def whilst so tired!!

I'm not going to get a chance to do anything inside the engine til Sunday cos of work so a quick ten minutes won't hurt!

I'll whip it off tomorrow lunch when I can bring it under cover and let you know how I get on!

Andrew...just check the cable first eh!

• Like 1

So I got both ends disconnected and guess what? The push lever moved and although there is movement in the cable, it is not sliding in and out as smoothly as it should. Just got in from work so I'll soak it in oil this evening and report back!

Think I've saved some time, effort and money here! Cheers Airhead

So I got both ends disconnected and guess what? The push lever moved and although there is movement in the cable, it is not sliding in and out as smoothly as it should. Just got in from work so I'll soak it in oil this evening and report back!

Think I've saved some time, effort and money here! Cheers Airhead

You're welcome Andrew, didnt want to see you stripping the mechanics down for nothing fella :eusa_snooty:

I strongly recommend you get one of these, first spray with WD40, followed by aerosol 3 in 1 oil, they do a terriffic job

http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/BI-CLBBU/

You're welcome Andrew, didnt want to see you stripping the mechanics down for nothing fella :eusa_snooty:

I strongly recommend you get one of these, first spray with WD40, followed by aerosol 3 in 1 oil, they do a terriffic job

http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/BI-CLBBU/

I've just spent an hour thinking (whilst trying to tease wd40 and 3 in 1 down the cable) how I could make something like that!

Thanks again. Can't test the clutch til tomorrow properly cos wife's at work and little un's should be in bed but I'll keep you updated!

I've just spent an hour thinking (whilst trying to tease wd40 and 3 in 1 down the cable) how I could make something like that!

Thanks again. Can't test the clutch til tomorrow properly cos wife's at work and little un's should be in bed but I'll keep you updated!

to save you more thinking time...in the olden days we used to make a plasticine funnel and let gravity do the work ;)

Believe it or not, I've just finished picking up bits of plasticine up off the floor and was thinking just that!! Am I old before my time?

Now, where did I leave my slippers......