Best Takedown Of The 'Speed Kills' Myth You'll Ever See

sniff6
This post is 3883 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Seems like stuff that a lot of us have been saying for years:

-speed limits are arbitrary [they are around here, the councils love to 50mph a dual carriageway].

-people are actually able to judge the correct speed; you can exclude the reckless who ignore many rules anyway.

-speeders are treated worse than muggers etc.

The science and statistics are nothing more than bullshit predicated on data from 50 years ago, whether you are in Canada, the UK or anywhere else in the developed world.

This is sadly why the police are thought of (by some) as revenue collectors nowadays......

oh so you committed a crime? ....... time for a ticket ! :shakeno:

When we went metric back in the late 70's our gov decided we need to change the speed limits to metric and nobody noticed that hte speed limits actualy went up 1-3 miles a hour.

Funny people didn't start dieing any faster.

When I ride in a group we always end up running 15-25 over,and again we don't die any faster.Infact less accidents happen when in a group as were more visiable to the SMITY's.

The road here are for the most part so good they could increase the limits 25% and should as everyone is going that fast anyway.

If they realy want to reduce death on the roads they should remove infotainment systems from new cars and make it Illeagle to have a rollling entertainment lounge,people have so many toy's to play with no wonder they aren't watching the road.

Recent studies show that distracted driveing causes 15-20% more accidents that acholo,the entertainment systems should be locked from input as soon as the vehicle is moveing,forcing people to stop if they want to use it.

A fact that I picked up reading the comments after the video was The auto bon when built in the 30's was deemed to be safe to 100mph most cars could go that fast or maintain that speed so they didn't bother with limts.

Over the years as cars got better handeling/brakes ect. the BON got beter too so again no need for limits in places,all this makes perfect sence to me.

What dosen't make anysence at all to me ,is we have roads better than or as good as the BON in the middel of knowhere,not a soule in sight for hundereds of miles and I'M supposed to do 100kms(63mph) when 150 is boring me to sleep.

New cars have ABS,traction control,stability control,tire pressure monitors,lane departure warning,forward and rear sencing crash detection monitors.Better tires/brakes/suspension and were are still forced to drive as if were driving Flinstone mobiels made in the 30's.Whats the point of having such good vehicles and force by the gov to purchace all the extra goodies mentioned above( as all are manditory as of 2015 here) driving the cost of a new vehicle up,if some kid on his Ebike can pass me because I have to do a stupidly slow speed limit that in no way reflects what is safe.

Wake up Gov either admit it's all just another tax grab,or raise the speed limits to a reasonable speed.

I do question some of the figures banded about as all we have is his version and most peeps on here have just accepted them without question.

I like a balanced argument not knee jerk applaudits to one man's campaign.

Not saying I disagree but all the facts need to be discussed.