Gasket set?

slice
This post is 4033 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok wise ones if you would be so kind I need some advice, I am going to rebuild the XJs engine this winter (as I have run out of projects!) and wanted to know if you might tell me the best place to get a gasket set, I can buy an EBAY one for about £50 and it has most of the bits I need but cheap is NOT always cheerful, so any one with a (clean) thought on where might be a reasonable price coupled with a reasonable quality set supplier would be appreciated. :jossun:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I bought a cheap rocker cover gasket off ebay for my XJR1300. They are not difficult to replace just get a few skinned knuckles doing them, it disintegrated after being on the bike about 3months. Bought genuine one still oil tight after 2 years. Lesson learnt no more cheap gasket sets.

I'm going with 1052 buy OE seals for the crank,tranny,valve's just not worth saving a few bucks only to have to do it over again.

When people bring me cheap gasket kits to rebuild with they always get the same talk"fine I can put it together with this crap but if leaks your paying to have them replaced,I would go get OE then if it leaks I will change them for free" never had any oe gaskets leak replaced many a cheap gasket/seal.

When In my early 20's we had a seal at work that fit perfectly on the shifeter shaft of my rz 350 and it would seal for a few weeks,then the heat would kill it and start leaking again so after changing it 5 times I ordered a oe seal and it didn't leak again.That was my lesson learned.I dont think it was the rubber but the metal spring that is responsable for the finnal seal on the shaft that was weaking,so just cause it fits dosen't mean shite.

It's your time and money but do you realy want to rebuild it 2x cause of a crapy seal,or have a valve seal that leaks oil and have to change plugs all summer long to be able to ride and have a smoker.

The clutch cover stator cover and other misa gaskets are just paper( as I'm sure you know) a roll of quality gasket paper is cheap and with a bit of time not hard to make, if you need more time to kill in your retirement.Or want to equal out the cost of oe seals vs a kit of crap.

FEL-PRO is my fave for making thoes hard to get gaskets or i can't waite for the dealer to supply,I just mist the cover with water and press it to the paper to mark the holes for the bolts,then with a hole punch I make them first, then I use a crafting knife and cut the rest out tracing the out side first with the part held firmly in place,normaly buy this time the paper has been marked for the inner cut out needed,I cut the biggest part first and then the leftover can be used for smaller parts

Anyway Slice just my 2 cents worth

Thank you both, ok new OEM parts it is, just have to tell her indoors that they only do these ones, oh well what's another bollocking!!!

LOL you been marrierd how long? she should be use to this by now,roof over head 1st food on table 2nd and kids needs 3rd then bikes need :biglaugha: before a new dress ,it's all about priorites. :eusa_whistle:

Dt I have been married for 38 years and still don't know which way the wind is blowing, a new frock is apparently "ESSENTIAL" and my sons University fees are also something that I apparently "HAVE" to pay my bike is so far down the list that I need binoculars to find it AND I know it's there, the trouble with an old bike like mine (1982) is that the parts I want are not made any more or they seem to be made out of rare elements that cost 4 times as much as a normal bike, example is a full set of luggage that is on sale in the US and it only costs about $450 with shipping included not new, original parts, which is more than I paid for the bike when I got it, oh well lets see how these and a new gasket set go down, I might be sleeping in the shed for the next few years!!!!

Umm kick the kid out if he's in universty and let him find his own way,school of hard knocks and all will shape him up and make a real man out of him,was out of the house at 16,,, bought my first house when I was 19 didn't make collage untill I was 30 and could pay for it myself The only thing my dad did for me was teach me how to work hard and fix things and I like it that way,, teaching my son the meaning of a dollar and how to fill his pocket's by himself. I won't stand for a lazy give me boy,you want it then get off your ass and earn it! I did !

I'm devoriced so I don't have to worry about buying her anything gave her a house so she can shut the____ up ,got all she is going to get and she knows it.Got 1 now who pays her own way and lives in her own house so my cash is MINE LOL.

At least the shead will be quite and peacfull not all bad LOL

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online