Motul 5000/Motul 51000?

wallywant xj6s
This post is 3860 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, thanks for reading my post and replying. Currently running xj6s and using Motul 5000 but not sure if the Motul 5100 would be better as only change a month ago to help with start up top end slight rattle as if no oil their so was asking which would be better or can you use some thing like magnatec which sticks to the inside of engine or so they claim.cheers. not sure what would help or have I got some thing wrong with my xj6s as its only got 8000 on the clock.cheers again.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think the only difference between motul 5000 and 5100 is the finer aspects of the formula (detergents etc). I have 5000 in my FZ1 at the previous interval and was fine. It's a semi, that conforms to most of the lastest SAE and MA specs so should be fine. Personally I just buy whatever I can that is cheapest - there are still lots of retailers selling 5000 at discounted prices.

On my second XJ6 i put 0W/40 in, as I got it very cheap (£2.50 a litre) and that did make the cam chain rattle at start up - the oil was not thick enough to allow the tensioner to 'pump-up', so I dropped it out and put in some 10W/40 and all was well.