CST Adreno Tyres

pilninggas
This post is 3897 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm posting this review because prior to purchasing a set of CST Adrenos for my Fazer, I googled for a review but the results were a bit patchy.

CST Adreno Tyres - A review by pilninggas

I ride quite a few miles a year; i don't go to work on my bike (very often), as I work only 5-10 minutes from home, so I have not tested the tyres as a commuter. I do however do respectable day rides (100-400miles), I do ride in adverse conditions and I do some respectable European touring.

Personally I think motorcycle tyre pricing is the result of some collusion by manufacturers. I've no doubt that the tyre makers invest in R&D, but I think they extract-the-piddle with their pricing. I also beleive magazine reviews underpin this marketing hype. The three biggest areas of motorcycle tyre development have been around for some time (silicon compounds, radial structure and standardised sizes) and I wonder if 'new models' are nothing more than a new mold with a different tread design. Or maybe i'm just a tight-arse cynic.

i have previously ran all sorts of tyres on a whole raft of bikes, paying top dollar and running budget. I remember having an RXS100 at 17, with awful chinese, cross ply rubber that washed-out from under me in the wet more than once. Not helped by the 90/90 profile. I also remember having a Pirelli Dragon Corsa put on the back wheel of my FZR1000 that set me back £135 in 2001.

People talk lots about good tyre feel. For me it means a reasonable warm up time, dry grip (that goes beyond my skills) and predictable and safe wet weather grip particularly in emergency braking situations. I don't do trackdays (or at least I didn't), but i don't hang about when the sun is out and the road is dry.

With all this in mind I buy as cheap as I can find a pair of 120/70 and 190/50. The less I spend on consumables, the more I have for European touring and days out. With this in mind, a search via google and ebay selling CST Adrenos for £99 a pair [from Wheelhouse Tyres, in the midlands]. Having had Maxxis before [which is a brand that I rate], I decided to get a set. I sometimes change tyres myself, but had them on put on loose wheels by the local tyre place.

The first proper ride was up to Herefordshire and then down through the Ewyas Valley in wet with 4Counties bikers. The tyres proved excellent in the very wet conditions - the top of the Gospel pass was shrouded in mist. i was impressed.

The bike then did a few other day rides, impressing with the grip and feedback in the dry at speed.

The real test of these tyres though was my recent (3750 miles) run to the Alps - a proper test, something the magazines never do with their tyres, certainly not whilst also accepting a cheque to advertise the brand on one page, and reviewing on it another [no loss of objectivity there!].

Motorway miles - For me the tyres weak link, they are noisier than some other brands and a little vibier (and yes I did double check the balancing myself). I think this is due to the slightly heavier structure than some other brands. For me the only issue.

Performance grip - Excellent in my opinion. I go to Europe for the mountain roads, the like of which we have nothing of comparison in the UK. I was able to attack those long twists and hairpins with as much confidence as any other sport-touring tyre. I took the bike onto Nurburgring on the way back, and despite the rear tyre being worn out, was able to wind the throttle on hard out of turns without fear (the edges did get shredded, but hey!).

Braking - Again very good. Tons of feedback in the dry allowing me to take it to lock-up with out fear of the dreaded tuck under. Reassured braking with modest lean when turns unexpectedly tightened up on me.

Wet - As stated about really good wet weather performance, that almost belies the tread pattern. I was able to traverse the Cormet de Roselend in really bad conditions with a fully loaded bike (all camping gear) without undue fear of the front washing out on the hairpins.

Wear - At 5000miles the rear was shot (on a FZ1S, so 150hp), but the front has 2k more in it. The rear had a worn middle portion, but only 8mm chicken strips and the outer portions were worn nicely.

I'd give these tyres 4/5, but at £100 a pair [which undercuts even the nearest other pair deals by £40], i'm going to give them 5/5, as they really are that good. If any one has found this by google, i'd say ignore the naysayers, let them spend £hundreds on a pair of tyres and give these a shot. If you don't like them send them to me!

+The shot rear was replaced with another CST Adreno @£60, so the cheap riding continues.

++The sad news [for me anyway] is that once this batch are sold Wheelhouse Tyres might not have anymore stock. I hope someone will import them and keep the budget sports-touring tyres going.

Cheers

Merv

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.